Sporterized Mauser issues

603Country

Had a guy come by today to get me to mount a scope in his sporterized Mauser. Immediate problem was that he forgot to bring the mounts. Second problem seems to be that he still has the original left-to-right flip over safety, and I don't think that when the scope is mounted, that the safety can be engaged or disengaged due to the safety making contact with the scope tube. Third problem is that the safety won't work. So...he needs a gunsmith. What do you guys estimate the cost will be to have the safety changed out to something usable? Can a Model 70 type safety be put on it?

Blindstitch

Well first thought is see through rings should give clearance to use the safety if it worked.

The second would be wondering if whatever mauser is in question if they make a timney trigger for it with safety. At least that would give him an added bonus for the cost.

math teacher

There are a couple of companies, Gentry being one, that make a 3 position Model 70 style safety for Mausers. It solves the problem of mounting a scope.

Mobuck

It will be cheaper to replace the trigger with a Timney with it's own safety than to add a M70 type safety. A Timney "scope safety" will cost $25-35 and a Timney trigger w/safety will cost more. A BOLD trigger w/safety will cost around $45-50.
These just guestimates--check Brownells or Midway for actual prices. Takes 1/2 hour to install a Timney safety and maybe an hour for a trigger w/safety(depending on stock cutting time).

603Country

Thanks much. This sounds like less of a problem than I was expecting. I'll look into the trigger/safety options.

Paul B.

That safety that Brownell's sells works just fine and even a klutz such as myself can install one in just minutes. I know because I've done it several times. :D
Paul B.

8MM Mauser

My sport mauser has a flip safety that sits on the right of the actions and blocks the trigger when engaged. Works like a charm. The only time I touch the original safety is when I disaasembled the bolt for cleaning.

Hawg

I used a Timney trigger on my 98 and got a new bolt shroud so I could remove the old safety. The Bold triggers are very good too.

Barnacle Brad

If the safety doesn't work, there may be an underlying issue such as the cocking piece is worn and needs replaced. Most likely some inletting of the stock will be required to install the timney trigger as well. Food for thought...

jmstr

I went the see-through ring route, and have no problems with my Chilean '95 Mauser 7mm.

I also have a Timney Featherweight in it also [no safety: relies on bolt safety] and like it a lot.

44 AMP

Staff
It takes A lot of wear to render the 98 Mauser wing safety non functional, but it can happen. If this has happened, you will have to replace the safety, or the cocking piece, or both (or add metal by welding and then reshape to function).

I have scoped a lot of mauser sporters, and unless you have something really odd, the regular wing safety will still work with a scope installed.

However, it won't work all the way like it did before. You lose the ability to lock the action shut with the safety on.

The safety wing will hit the scope when its about a 45 degree angle, so you also lose the "detent" feature holding the wing in place when its straight up and down, as well. But, at the 45 degree angle, the safety is still camming the cocking piece back slightly, and does keep the rifle on safe (won't fire when trigger is pulled).

The biggest problem with the standard safety lever and a scope is that the end of the wing is rounded and smooth (98), and does not give a good positive "grip" for your fingers when its pushed up against the scope. So this makes taking the safety OFF a bit more difficult.

I have used "scope safeties" from Numrich, and Beuhler (mostly Numrich) they are simple to install, quite positive, and they have a "shelf" which is easy to work in the ON position. And they are fairly cheap.

The down side is that they are fairly cheap, and while absolutely functional, they don't give the high end custom look. A Model 70 swing type safety is very classy, but they require replacing more parts, possibly gunsmith fitting, and are much, much more expensive.

Installing a trigger with its own safety is another route, also more expensive than the scope safety, and requires inletting the stock (removing wood to give clearance to the safety).

Just remember that after you have done all the things to make the rifle you have into the rifle you want, some milsurp fanatic (or maybe fanboy would be a better word) will come along and berate you for ruining a valuable piece of history!

IF this does happen (and it seems to happen a lot) just smile at them, as they rant, and when they wind down, stick them with this, "you ought to thank me! I just made your milsurp more valuable!" :D Or be creative, and polite until they get bored and leave.

Mobuck

The safety wing will hit the scope when its about a 45 degree angle, so you also lose the "detent" feature holding the wing in place when its straight up and down, as well. But, at the 45 degree angle, the safety is still camming the cocking piece back slightly, and does keep the rifle on safe (won't fire when trigger is pulled).

IMHO this is NOT SAFE. Too much chance of the safety releasing itself if bumped or brushed w/o the detent holding it. I do have 2 Mausers that depend on this operation BUT they're "range only" so aren't carried or handled in this condition.

44 AMP

Staff
I have always found the tension on the safety wing from the cocking piece to be pretty stout, and sufficient to hold the safety in place, without the detent feature engaged.

However, I understand your concerns. I have a Springfield that I have not replaced the stock safety wing on, (yet, and I may not). I simply don't load the chamber until I'm ready to shoot. (its not set up as a good stalking rifle)

And, FWIW, the "detent" isn't all that positive with the wing in the upright position, anyway. All the way over to the right, locking the bolt shut, its very positive (sometimes even difficult to take "off), but in the strait up position the wing isn't "locked" into position very positively.

Decades ago, at age 17, hunting with a party of my Dad's friends, one of he guys (late 20s) carried a Swede Mauser carbine. Going through some thick brush became a teaching moment for both of us. He was in front of me, rifle slung. I noticed the safety was off. (rifle cocked).

Being the kid in the group I was hesitant to bring it up to him, and it wasn't until the second time I saw it that I had the nerve to bring it up. He had a round chambered and had been carrying the gun with the safety "ON" (wing straight up).

It had somehow been bumped to "off". I showed him how the wing safety worked, he didn't know that there was a far right position locking it in place.

Straight up is the "combat ready" position, rifle on safe, but easily bumped/swiped "off safe". Its made that way, on purpose.

What I learned from this was that not every "grown up" knew as much about Mausers as I had learned in just a couple years! And, that sometimes, the "kid" can be right!

My real point is that you can safely use a Mauser with a scope and the original safety. It is awkward, and if you feel its risky, simply don't do it.

If you really want awkward, try an Arisaka. Just as awkward with a scope or without one. And don't even get my started on the Moisin Nagant! :D

The problem described is why the horizontal swing type safety like the Chapman was developed. We had to soften our bolt shrouds and then mill them out for the Chapman. There was a lot of hand filing afterwards to fit them (we had worn cutters to begin with). Even after we got them to work, we then had to make a cap that would slide into the shroud to cover the ugly hole in the back.

You could always go with those horrible super high scope rings. Then you'd have to increase the height of the cheekpiece so as to keep a good cheek weld.

jimbob86

Well first thought is see through rings should give clearance to use the safety if it worked.

"See-through" rings are a wrongness that you pay good money for: they make a good cheekweld impossible. In the first place, why would you do that to yourself, and second, why would you pay money to do that to yourself?

The only nice thing I can say about them is that they are cheaper and more usable for a quick offhand shot than a moonscope that is mounted on a rifle stocked for irons ..... but if that was the object of the excercise, then you could dispense with the scope altogether, and save the money for the scope and the goofy "see-through" mounts ....

F. Guffey

The safety wing will hit the scope when its about a 45 degree angle, so you also lose the "detent" feature holding the wing in place when its straight up and down,

I have always found the tension on the safety wing from the cocking piece to be pretty stout, and sufficient to hold the safety in place, without the detent feature engaged.

And I have found adding a detent works. there is no shortages of see through rings around here.

F. Guffey

603Country

The guy will come over tomorrow and wants to mount the scope. If he has all the bits and pieces, we'll do that. Before that, however, I'll take the barreled action out of the stock and we'll have a look at the 'workings'. And I'll tell him what my research with you guys has turned up.

Thanks for all the useful info.