split brass

rodney1968

I was shooting today and when I picked up the brass I noticed one was split about halfway down the case seemed to be same size around and had not swelled up or anything never heard a different sound on any of them,what would cause that? I cleaned the gun after shooting and did not notice any damage to the gun. was shooting a smith and wesson sigma with fiochi ammo.

Bitmap

Usually that happens with cases that have been reloaded too many times. They get brittle after being worked a lot. I've occasionally seen that with factory ammo and I don't worry about it if I'm not planning on reloaded.

What caliber?

Bitmap

Sounds to me like the brass was a little brittle on those cases. I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't reloading. When I see them like that I just pitch them.

Someone else may have a different opinion but I've never heard of a reason that it is dangerous unless the split goes down close to the head which could allow gas to escape.

Smokey Joe

Case Splits

Have had 2 cases split--other than at the case mouth--in my shooting experience. One was .45 ACP; one was .357 magnum. Both with target (i.e. light) loads. Both as I recall, nickel-plated. Both reloads. Neither was an Amerc. (One Remington case, one Starline, IIRC.)

IMHO, it's just no big deal. One more piece of brass for the recycle bucket, shrug and move on.