Spitzer, Sbt, Hpbt, Spt, ?

G'day. I need some guidance, I am beginning to reload for my .270. I want a hunting load for animals up to the size of a Camel. I would like a MPBR over 300 meters, +/- 3 inches line of sight. My preference for projectiles will be Sieera 130/140 grain. My powder preference is VARGET. I will consider other Hodgdon powders (H4831sc, H4350, H4895, Retumbo, H1000,) I need a powder that is compatible with .222 REM. The rifle is a Ruger M77 19" barrel.
I am just trying to find peoples thoughts on the different projectile options. Maybe somebody has just the load that will suit?

CPTMurdoc30

Me I would look at Hornady SST or interbond. These are going to have a slightly higher BC offering you better downrange balisitics. Sierra goes to 140gr Hornady has a 150gr SST and IB.

with a velocity of 2780 the 250gr zeroed at 100 yards drops 13.1" at 300 yards. So sight in for 200 yards and you should be good out to 300 easy.

Centennial

I have never shot a camel. My guess is the zoos here in the USA would tend to get a little upset if that were to happen.

I have shot lots of elk. If I were going to hunt a large animal with a .270 (WCF?), I would only consider the heavy for caliber bullets; 140g+. You will need to get about 3000fps out of your load to have a point of impact close to your required –3in at 300m and never rise above +3 at the mid point of the trajectory; that’s 270Wbyish. If your 270 is the M77 with the 19in Bbl I dont think you will be able to get the velocities you need to meet your goal. Attached is a really good ballistics calculator that is online. I have tested many, many loads against it and it’s very good. http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/calculations.html

I made a cursory look in the Hornady 7th edition and didn’t see any compatible powders that worked in the 222Rem and 270. If you want max performance in each cartridge, you are probably going to need two powders. Other guys may have better insight but I think you have set some very lofty goals. Have fun and enjoy the challenge.

I Tend to agree with Centennial as to not believing you are going to be able to achieve the goal you have set in the 270 with a near carbine length barrel. In order to drive a 140gr. bullet to the velocities you mention will require slower burning powders that in no way will be compatable with a 222 Rem. as it will need faster burning powders. Of the 2 powders you listed to achieve maximum possible speeds I would opt for H1000 or Retumbo . Another thing you may try too is to opt for the Barnes TSX bullet as you can typically add 1 1/2 to 2 grs more powder to most all load data other than that listed by Barnes as pressures run lighter on max loads due to the reduced load bearing surface of the "ring and groove" style bullet they build. In addition the terminal performance of these bullets tends to exceede most bullets of equal grain weight . This plus the longer lenght of the all copper bullets tend to stabilize very well for long range shooting. All this taken into account you will most likely be able to just barely reach the performance levels you are looking for . Good luck 10 SPOT.