Sphinx SDP final thoughts

Worc

Got out again and put another 65 rounds thru this gun and a total of 325 for the day. The gun now has 535 rounds through it and zero issues. This is right out of the box without any cleaning thus far. I did weigh the trigger to see if anything has changed. I noticed in my first post a made a typo on the SA pull weight. I had said it was 5 lbs 1 oz which should have been 5 lbs 10 ounce. The SA is now down to 5 lbs 7 ounce. The DA pull was over twelve pounds which maxed out my scale. It's now down to 11 lbs 13 ounce. I'll likely add the CGW spring kit around the thousand round mark.

I realized that the groove at the trigger guard is a little on the tight side. Most models have a shallow cutout. The SDP has a deeper one than most other models much like a Glocks.

I whipped up a little target for 5 yard fast fire drills where I load five rounds (JHP's) and shoot as soon as I feel the reset while riding it forward. It's just an 8 1/2"x11" piece of copy paper with each gun's logo printed on it. I use the gun to shoot it's logo. Adds a little more fun and is super cheap.

The Walther PPQ was lights out today and usually the Sig and PPQ go back and forth as my best shooters. All of them did well considering the rate of fire.

I think the SDP looks to be a keeper.

TBT

Nice shooting my man. Very nice. Very cool idea with the logos...I might have to steal that one. :cool:

Worc

Yea, thanks TBT. I'd like to say that the Walther group is how they look all the time in this drill. Usually more along the lines the Steyr's.

Shooting the Logo target was fun, and helps keep track of what I did with each gun at just a glance. The logo's themselves are about 1 1/2" and I just made it in Word. I could print them in color if I wanted to.

The Sphinx was super tight and stiff right out of the box. After more than 500 rounds and working the action by hand and some dry firing, its loosened up a little. The slide will release from the slide lock without using two thumbs to press it down.
One of my buddies was over this weekend and wanted to check it out. The first thing he commented on was the quality of the gun. The second thing was the weight as it was heavier than he thought it would be. He also like the grip and how the gun felt overall. He's not a fan of SA/DA's and is used to D/A's. He covets my PPQ though. The SDP's are going for pretty good prices right now.

Last edited:

HALO51

Nice article......been carrying a firearm for 21 years professionally. Sphinx hands down best firearm I've ever qualified with. Contact Dave @ Cajun Gun Works and have him drop you in his Sphinx authorized spring kit. My DA is 7lbs 15 oz. SA is 3lbs 8oz & is amazingly smooth. I've had 5,150 rounds of 115-124 gr ammo and 520 rounds of +P and +P+ with ZERO malfunctions. In fact we have tried our best to get it to malfunction to no avail. It is now my primary carry gun. if you're serious about self-defense, range gun then go with Sphinx!!! PERIOD!! I've carried Sig P220,226 and an HKP&M13, Believe me, there's nothing better to bet your life on more than a Sphinx SDP.

Worc

I spoke with Scott the other day at CGW about their spring kit. I wanted to know what to expect pull weight wise and if there has been any reliability issues. They pretty much echoed what you said HALO51. Thanks for your feedback on their spring kit.

I like my SPD quite a bit but, will continue to CC my HK P-30. The lack of beaver tail and lighter weight gives it the edge for me. I'll likely carry the SDP once in a while for CC and may also open carry it at times while in the woods.