Sphinx SDP Compact: Am I Missing Something?

TunnelRat

Hi all,
In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here is the product page:

http://www.sphinxarms.com/?p=21

An LGS near me gets in a number of sometimes hard to find firearms, and this caught my eye. Or I should say it's name caught my eye. I've heard of Sphinx firearms before, but not much. When I saw the model name of this pistol, SDP, I immediately thought of the CZ Custom SDP. Then I saw the price tag, $1300. I was in a bit of shock. Then I remembered the CZ SDP is about the same price. I asked to take a look at it. I was thinking to myself, "Well given the price I bet it has a very nice trigger." I was somewhat disappointed. It wasn't horrible and I'd say it was a step above a stock CZ trigger, but it wasn't nearly as smooth as say a SIG trigger. The pistol did balance well, the finish was nice, and the construction seemed solid. But I kept looking at it and honestly I couldn't see where the $1300 was going. For that price I want one hell of a trigger.

Has anyone had a chance to handle one of these, or other Sphinx pistols? What were your thoughts?

-TR

Walt Sherrill

I've had several Sphinx pistols, from their older 2000 series guns, and they were superb. They were pricey, even when bought used. The ones I had were also beautiful -- in fact they were so pretty I didn't want to use them. I eventually sold them.

Don't know anything about the new ones -- but if they're offering it for $1300, it's definitely one of their low-end guns.

carguychris

But I kept looking at it and honestly I couldn't see where the $1300 was going.
It's the going rate for Teutonic Gnome Magic. ;) Made in Switzerland, remember?
I was thinking to myself, "Well given the price I bet it has a very nice trigger." I was somewhat disappointed. It wasn't horrible and I'd say it was a step above a stock CZ trigger, but it wasn't nearly as smooth as say a SIG trigger... For that price I want one hell of a trigger.
IMHO people buy them for the same basic reason why some people will pay 2.5x the price of a Corvette Z06 for a decked-out Porsche Carrera 4S. It's not simply about performance per dollar. It's about build quality, class, and exclusivity in particular.