Spent primer missing

arkie2

I went to the range yesterday and shot 100 rounds of .45 reloads. When I picked up my brass I discovered one of the spent primers missing. I don't know when or how it exited the primer pocket but the round fired obviously. Is that anything to worry about? I was shooting 5.1 grains of titegroup behind 200 grain LSWC.

Randy_che

That primer pocket may be getting loose. Keep the case and have a look at others of the same headstamp and/or number of times reloaded. Could be a single case, or could be time to get some new brass and recycle the old.

Dogjaw

Take a look at the other spent primers in that batch. Are they backing out? Do the rest look alike? Is there any "primer wash" (deformed firing pin dent)? Does the brass show the normal signs of over pressure? If everything else looks normal, it could be a loose primer (throw the case out). If any question is a yes, you better do some investigating into overpressure.

arkie2

Dogjaw & Randy

Thanks for the info. I did look at all the other primers and they look normal. I threw the case out as recommended. My practice load is well under the maximum so I'm guessing it's just defective brass.

rickh

Dang,
I read this hopping someone invented and auto decaping shell!
Oh well...
When in doubt throw it out!
Rick H...