Speer Reloading Manual

KJr

I have 2 Speer reloading manuals, v10 & v11, what is the latest version and is there that much difference in it and my version 11?

I have noticed there are not very many cast bullet loads in my books and I prefer to load and shoot cast, since I shoot a lot.

I read the "Best Load Data Book?" thread, but I do like Speer loading manuals best.

Feedback...

crimsondave

Well, I've got version 11 (1987) and version 14 (2007.)

The main difference is the old book does not have the calibers that post date it's publication.:D Like the short mags, ultra mags, STW's and so forth.

Another unfortunate difference is that it appears that the lawyers got into the numbers in the new manuals. Many "max" loads are now lower in the new book than in the old book. For example, in 30-06 with 180 grain BTSP max load of IMR 4350 is 57 grains in the #11 book, while it is 56 grains in the #14 book. Some loads have not changed, but you will notice these changes quite often.

reloader28

Personally, I like the Speer the least of all my books. But thats a matter of opinion.
I have the Speer 12, and it only has a few cast loads in it.
I have the Lyman 48 and really like all the cast data in it. Theres a ton. The jacketed bullet data is top notch to.
I have the RCBS cast bullet book. Its got alot of recipes to. I didnt know that when I bought it, it was just a bonus. :)

Stumper

For cast bullet shooters Lyman manuals are the best. If you are a big Speer fan then the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual is a good companion to a Speer manual.......but Lyman has more Data.

azar92

I have Speer #13 and have looked at #14. 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is another gun whose loads got the ax. The old load of RL-22 for a 140g bullet was 48.0g. Now, it's 45.0g. I think that while perhaps 48.0g was probably a bit on the warm side, 45.0g is too big of a reduction.

I loaded up to 48.0g without issue but found between 46.0g and 47.0g was where I wanted to be velocity and accuracy wise. I'm a bit disappointed that my previously safe below-max load is now considered "unsafe" as it's 1.0g to 2.0g beyond the new max. Oh well. It works in my gun.

MADISON

New and old Speer Manuals

New and old Speer Manuals?
Speer 14 is the latest manual.
Every time a powder manufacturer changes their powder "they" bring out new up-dated manuals. Today's powders seem to be hotter than those thaat were out when I got into reloading with a Speer #8 manual.
Use the latest update manual!

Last edited:

David Wile

Hey KJr,

I have Speer manuals going back to the 1960s, and they are one of my top choices in manuals. My advice for a "first" manual is the Lyman manual; if I could only have one manual, it would be the Lyman manual. I also like the Hornady manual.

If you are really interested in cast bullet loads, the regular Lyman manual is the best of the "regular" manuals. However, Lyman also publishes a number of other manuals including one for shotshell and, more importantly for you, one for cast bullets. Like the regular Lyman manual, the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual has been around for many years. My oldest one is probably from the 1950s.

While I have every edition of the regular Lyman manual, I do not have all editions of other manuals, and I do not have all of the Lyman Cast Bullet manuals. I would suggest you consider adding the regular Lyman manual as well as Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual to your shelf. They will fit in real well with the excellent information provided in your Speer manual.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Scorch

Speer #10 and #11 manuals were famous for hot loads. If you read their testing methods, prior to #9 they used to old "mike 'n' guess" method (using a micrometer to measure case head expansion after each loading to estimate pressure) for estimating pressures in earlier manuals, and after #12 they got pretty sophisticated about pressure measurement. #10 and #11 were kind of the transition phase, with new powders hitting the shelves and changes in existing powders, and the max loads were pretty hot.

Many people treat a reloading manual like a cookbook and do not follow the advice of reducing loads 10% and working up while checking for pressure signs. I have seen lots of reloaders who open up the manual, look for the max velocity with the bullet weight they want, and load 'em up.

I agree with others that the Lyman manual is a good choice for a first manual.