Speer Gold Dot Problem

Shaun

the other day i got home and emptied the chamber on my HK USP compact in .40 S&W. I then unloaded the magazines and gave them all a good cleaning. When i went to reload the mags i noticed one of the rounds was missing the rim. I looked around my room and couldnt find the piece of metal anywhere. I wondered if my extracter claw tore the rim off, is this common, ive never had it happen myself. Can anyone shed some light on this, short of me calling Speer.

heres a picture of the defective round next to a normal one, this ammo is still live, the bullet is just wedged into my table so it would stand on end, sorry its a little fuzzy but you get the idea

Picture144.jpg

Tanzer

Tough Question...

But I doubt the extracter claw would be to blame. Even if it did rip it off, it seems the round is at fault. That does not make sense however since you never fired the round. When would the claw have contacted it? I'm not familiar with how your mags come apart/if the bottom comes off. Could it be wedged in the bottom of the mag under the spring?

Shaun

im thinking it was the chambered round and in my rush didnt notice it right away, that is what i assumed since i couldnt think of another reason for such a thing to occur.

Wrangler5

Wow, that really is a missing rim. I've seen extractors pull sections out of a rim of cases I've reloaded more than I should, but I've never seen a whole rim disappear. That HAS to be a case flaw, not a gun flaw, especially if the round was factory new (not reloaded.)

skeeter

Can you post the type,wt, and lot number of this Speer round? I would not count on this lot for defense.

Tanzer

Even if it was the chambered round your claw seemed to eject it properly. I think you'd have noticed if it didn't. Take a look at the claw w/ a magnifying glass to check for damage, but at this point I'm giving the gun a pass.
Contact Speer. They don't need the bad press and you might get a box of ammo out of the deal.