Speer 158 grain LSWC HP - really this ugly

salvadore

I've ordered swaged .32s &.38s WCs from Midway and the photo always looks much worse than the product....so far.

Shootest

Swaged bullets always have a much rougher finish than cast. Some of the difference is the lube that coats the swaged bullets. Cast are much harder and can be driven to higher velocities. I cast my own for about $15/500.

grumpa72

Shootist,
I cast for 9mm and .45 acp but I figured I wouldn't be shooting the .38 that much since it is a 2" Colt Cobra with an alloy frame. Not very pleasant to shoot. In addition, I haven't found a mold yet for the 158 LSWC HP in .38 special yet. Of course, I could just do the SWC, I guess.

thank you,
grumpa

PawPaw

Those aren't cast, they're swaged, and they're pretty good bullets. I've used them, but currently I'm using the Hornady version. Be advised that they are soft, but they seem to work fine in my standard .38 special ammo.

grumpa72

Thank you for your replies. I guess I learned something today, thanks to Google, and learned what swaging is. I always thought that it meant resizing cast bullets to the exact dimension required but I learned differently.

Ok, so they are different, rougher, and not as "pretty" as my cast. I guess I will order some.

thank you again,
grumpa

salvadore

I load swaged WC for a Colt Cobra also. I load the bullet out a bit till it bumps up against the throat with about 3 grs. of bullseye or titegroup. They work good and don't seem to beat up the Cobra much.

bossman

Great bullets, the rough looking part is just the type of lube they use with that bullet. They don't smoke as bad as the banded lubed bullets.

The whole bullet is coated with their lube and I know some folks say they're messy to handle, but they are a great shooting bullet. Just don't push to hard.

alloy

They are very slick feeling, as if the lube is some type of clear hard waxy spray paint. I use alot of them for 38 special, they work well. They do kind of look like the picture, but not really.:D

PICT1893.jpg

Last edited: