Speer # 14 IMR 4064 and 223

Adventurer 2

I have Speer reloading manual # 14. I am loading 223, 55 grain, SP with IMR 4064. Per the manual starting charge is 24.5 grains and the max is 26.5. The 26.5 is not marked as a compressed load. The below picture is of the 24.5 starting load. I thought my weight was off - double, triple, quadruple checked on both a regular and electronic scale. I can't even get 26.5 grains of IMR 4064 to fit in a 223 case. I opened a brand new cannister of IMR 4064 before starting so it isn't a mix up on the powder. Can somebody confirm if maybe the manual is wrong? Any ideas on what is going on?

IMR4064.jpg

TATER

I find the speer manual loads are a little hot sometimes..
I always see pressure signs before I get close to their Max load.

Hodgdon shows
.223Rem
55 GR. SPR SP
IMR 4064 from 23.0 to 25.7C

rn22723

Extruded powders can some times benefit from using a drop tube to instill the powder in the case. And, in my estimation you ought to consider a bit faster powder. H335 ?

flashhole

You may just be using brass with a small powder capacity. Some of the miltary stuff is heavier than commercial brass, when sized the same you will have less powder capacity in the heavier brass. The smaller capacity brass may keep pressures up and give a bit more velocity than expected. Try the load you have before you go to added work steps to get more powder in the case.

Something I do to compact the powder is use an electric toothbrush (without the brush) and place the flat of the vibrating shaft on the side of the case. The powder settles nicely and allows for more to be used if that's the route you want to take.

51colt

My Mini 14 go to load is 24gr IMR4064 52gr Hornady HPBT this load is not hot at all. Is accurate in my tweaked 197 Ranch rifle. Shoots one inch groups at 100 yd all day long. I think i got the load from the Hornady book. Lees Cheap powder measure thoughts 4064 good.

Mike