Speeds, Feeds and Ballistics 40S&W - I Shot My Chronograph

Mr.RevolverGuy

Another episode of Speeds, Feeds and Ballistics this time with 40S&W. Much like the first video of testing 10MM through a pistol and carbine we put 40S&W through the same test. But this time I have a little bit of a surprise for everyone and no it is not the fact that I shot my chronograph.

https://youtu.be/NBzd6NzAI7Q

Will Caliber Wars ever come to an end? So far I have tested 10MM and now 40S&W next up 9MM. Is it really true that with the advancement in bullet technology caliber doesn't matter anymore?

So what do you think is the ideal barrel length for 40S&W? Leave your comments below.

agtman

Will Caliber Wars ever come to an end? So far I have tested 10MM and now 40S&W next up 9MM.

Actually you didn't test a real 10mm load. You tested a '40-level '10mm' load. Not the same animal. Might want to re-visit the drawing board on that one. :rolleyes:

Is it really true that with the advancement in bullet technology caliber doesn't matter anymore?

Not at all. 'A rising tide lifts all boats.'

Advancements in projectile-technology that benefit one particular cartridge have 'carry-over' benefits across a range of cartridges. In handgun ammunition, that particularly applies to the so-called 'service cartridges.'

The same technology (new materials and design construction) that supposedly boosted the 'street lethality' of the 9mm can be adapted and used to similarly upgrade or improve the lethality of other service cartridges, which has in fact happened.

But the concept of technological 'carry-over' benefits isn't really new. We saw something similar decades ago when Hornady introduced its (then-new) XTP-HP bullet. That projectile was created to satisfy the (then-new) ballistic mantra coming out of the post-Miami '86 FBI - allegedly for the benefit of L.E. everywhere - which called for 'penetration, penetration, and penetration.'

Hornady then loaded the XTP bullet in a range of handgun calibers, not just the 10mm AUTO.

Last edited:

Ruger45LC

A few points I'd like to make, first is that those loads did well but factory .40 ammo (just like 9mm, .45, etc) tends to use faster burning powders so you're not going to see a big increase in a longer barrel. Now if you utilize handloads, you can use better powders like Longshot, 800x and Power Pistol and you will see a pretty big increase in barrel length.

I've ran 180gr to around 1200 fps from a 4" Glock 23 and around 1300 fps from a Glock 35. To use the phraseology of the guy above me, "real .40 S&W". A longer barrel would give you more, but I'm not so sure it's needed, cool perhaps to see what it can do though. I also have one of the .40/10mm Blackhawk, mine is the 4 5/8" version, it shoots well.

I doubt caliber wars will end anytime soon. Some people are passionate about certain cartridges and others just want to defend what they've invested in, but I mostly shoot .40 and 10mm, with some .45 Colt and 454 Casull on the side, but in a semi auto pistol, the .40 and 10mm are great choices, the .40 especially in a 9mm sized gun and the 10mm does well if you prefer bigger guns.