speedloaders

twhidd

My wife carries a S&W 642 in her purse. I want to get her a speedloader for it so she can carry a few extra rounds. The gun has the factory rubber grips. I've read mixed reviews about some of the ones having clearance problems with certain grips. So what are your recommendations.

thesecond

HKS. Easy to line-up cartridges with chambers, quick and easy twist to release into the cylinder.

Safariland Comp-I. Shorter profile for ease of carry, push-style to release into the cylinder.

indiandave

HKS #36 will work with a 642 with the std. grips. They will also work with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I found HKS did not work to well with Pachmyer grips.

Superhouse 15

Grips

Should be pretty easy to sand down the grips if there is a clearance issue. You could also try Speed Strips. They're a little slower but a lot easier to carry. I won't comment on the whole purse-carry thing.

cslinger

I have had great luck with HKS loaders. I have, well a bunch, in 5, 6 and 7 shot varieties and I have never had a problem with clearance issues with factory or after market grips.

As an aside the HKS loaders really are great little pieces of equipment that will last forever. They are much smaller but a little slower then some of the other push to release types.

I don't think you will you have problems with the factory grips.

Willis83

What thesecond said, plus

I have used the HKS and Safariland COMP-1 speedloaders with the SW 642 w/ stock rubber boot grips w/ no problems. I use the Safariland loaders. They securely hold the cartridges if you are carrying in a pocket. Where is your wife going to carry the speedloader at? If she will be carrying the speedloader in a pouch, go with HKS or Safariland. If carrying the speedloader in a pocket or purse choose Safariland. I tried to pocket carry the HKS loader and it did not work. The jiggling around in the pocket turned the knob and when I pulled the loader out I had no cartridges. Not good!

Also, I suggest Bianchi speed strips if a speedloader won't work. They carry 6 rds flat in a pocket w/ no extra bulk like a speedloader. You can load 2 cartridges at a time. I timed reloading my SW642 w/ speed strips vs. speedloaders. The speed strips were 2 seconds slower.

Please remember to practice loading w/ speedloaders. Focusing on lining up 2 of the rounds in the speedloader into the chamber. I suggest buying the same brand for all of her revolvers to simplify the reloading process. None of this- do I push and twist? or just push them in?

Kraziken

Only two seconds slower? You must be pretty proficient with those speed strips?
I bought them tried them. I think in a pinch under stress, I do not want too fumble around with those things.

I admittedly prefer Safariland type loaders with my full size revolvers. I've heard mixed problems with the small J frame.

Last edited:

45_Shooter

I prefer safariland loaders, as they're the fastest loaders available. I will use HKS as a second choice if safariland's aren't available, or hard to get.

Speed strips are great when you can't have something protruding from a pocket.

Jkwas

I prefer safariland loaders, as they're the fastest loaders available. I will use HKS as a second choice if safariland's aren't available, or hard to get.

Speed strips are great when you can't have something protruding from a pocket.

+1, but maybe it's just me, I find the HKS loaders to be clumsy, but serviceable.

BillCA

As others have pointed out, grips can be modifed to work or simply swapped out for a pair of grips that will accomodate your speedloaders.

Speedloader prices range between $9 and $15 most places. If you're not sure which type you'd prefer, buy one of each and practice. Find the one that suits you best and sell the other one to a friend or shooting buddy.

Back in the 70's when I went through training, the instructor forced us to reload from a back pocket or belt-loops. This was to get us used to "the basics". One woman in our class was incredibly fast with either method because she constantly practiced. From loops she did two at a time and was not measurably faster than using Bianchi Speed Strips (which were only about 5 years old at the time).

When we did get to speed loaders, we found out just how much time they saved over manual reloading. Average manual reload time was 7.2 seconds (excluding Debi who averaged just 5.3 seconds!). Speed strips dropped that class average down to 5.4 seconds and speedloaders (excluding one guy with a premature release issue :D) got us down to an average of 3.8 seconds.

Safariland vs. HKS
Use whichever you are comfortable with. Some folks complained about HKS "releasing" rounds in a pocket. I've never had that happen in a jacket/shirt pocket or a pair of slacks. I could see it in a pair of jeans or tight fitting pants however.

On the other hand, I've twice experienced Safarilands releasing in a jacket pocket because the loader was pressed up against something (car center console probably).

I typically use HKS because they're almost always available and I'm used to them. They're also available in more sizes and calibers.

Be sure to practice with them! Use snap-caps or have a reloader make you a dozen FMJ cartridges with no primers for practice.

Practice until you can load in the dark. Keep your gun up chest high while reloading so you can see movements around you. And practice while prone, supine (on your back) and while running.

The Great Mahoo

I have some HKS speed loaders and a few speed-strips for my Taurus 651 snubby. I have run into clearance problems with the HKS in speed drills (rushing to line up) but they generally work well. If I can get them to work properly(that is, I have been practicing recently), they are definately faster than the speed strips. However, for actual every-day carry, I by far prefer the strips. They are much more comfortable to carry in a pocket. If she intends to carry in the purse, might not be much of an issue.

I haven't tried the Safari Land loaders, but would like to pick a few up sometime to try them out. I like the theory of them, but haven't yet had a chance to actually use them.

WESHOOT2

since 1976

I have been using HKS and have never had one inadvertantly 'dispense' its cartridges, even when thrown.

I have had Safariland 1, 2, and 3's 'leak'......

(I''ve used them for S&W M67, M38, Ruger Security Six, GP100, 357/41/44/45 Redhawks.)