Speed of Lymans #2?

David Bachelder

Anybody know the max suggested speed for .357 bullets cast from lyman #2 (BHN 15 +/-) alloy?

No gas checks.

1000 fps
1100 fps
1200 fps
?

I'll be shooting them from a rifle.

What boolit mold?

In a rifle, you have to take into account running out of lube. Longer barrels generally will eat up more lube.

Boolit fit and lube is king.

dagger dog

Depends

It depends on the chamber preassure of your load among other things.
If your #2 Lyman alloy is indeed 15 BHN, that puts the chamber pressure at approx 19,109-19021 psi.

You need to pick out a load that is around that pressure. Most .357 lead bullet loads in that pressue range will be in 38 S&W Special and a 158 grain bullet. The highest velocity I see in Lees Mordern Reloading 38 Special 158gr lead bullet data is 1046 fps with a pressure of16,720 psi. ,which is well within the BHN for true Lyman #2 alloy.

BUT! Your rifles chamber ,leade, barrel and barrel length, will affect the velocity, which in turn can play a major role on how fast you can push the bullet.

Sometimes a bullet that is TOO HARD will lead the bore worse than a softer bullet that obturates to seal the hot gasses from blowing by the fragile base of the bullet.

GP100man

Well the 358477 does have a generous lube groove if it`s the square groove ,the round groove not so much & generally is reseved for handgun use .

I say this with little experience with 357mag shot out of rifles, although the same rulles apply ! good fit & good lube & bhn of 15 or so should handle all the pressure a standard load would generate .

Now here`s the BUT , there`s alot of variables from each firearm !

If I was gonna start shooting lead I think I`d put a good cleaning on the barrel then swab the barrel with Flitz or JB Bore Paste until smooth , very smooth then a swabbing with Eds Red .

TXGunNut

If you get leading @ your desired velocity I'd slug the barrel and give lube more thought. I like a coat of Rooster Jacket over LLA these days on TL bullets, hear it works fine on GG bullets as well. Pretty sure SPG would be worth a try on any GG bullet even if you're using smokeless.
Like ICH said, fit and lube are critical. Without good fit and lube BHN doesn't really matter. With good fit and lube 1200 fps is do-able with almost any WW alloy.

LAH

I've shot 15BHN at 30,000 psi. It wasn't Lyman #2 but 92-6-2. If the bullet fits & a good lube used you'll not have a "bullet problem."