Speed Loader types

Kosh75287

Does someone make a speed loader designed to release the fresh rounds from the loader when the center knob is pushed instead of twisted? Just seems like it would be faster, and conserve a lot of motion.

AK103K

I use the speed loaders in Dales link, as well as their Comp I's.

You actually push on the "body" of the loader to release the rounds, not the button. They work very well.

Sevens

When I first began shooting, I used to watch the local cops at my club compete in PPC on the club's indoor range. Most all of them used the Safariland competition speedloaders that work just like you describe -- push button, spring-loaded. You had to keep hands OFF the cylinder and simply push the stem of the speedloader for it to work properly, IIRC.

Obviously, the classic, low-cost (and compact) and ultra-durable HKS speedloaders don't work that way -- you must hold the cylinder if you are to be able to twist the knob.

I have never used any speedloaders other than the classic HKS and while I would bet some work faster or easier, it just seems to me that when worked as a whole system of loading, shooting and ejecting... my fingers are through the frame and grasping that cylinder as a matter of course of proper and certain ejecting.

I am not, nor have I ever been "Johnny Tactical" and while I do carry a handgun every single day, my world of handgunning and shooting centers around ENJOYMENT. I do what I enjoy doing and most of the other stuff takes a back seat. And I only bring that up just to say:

it seems to me that those cops back in the day using Safariland competition speedloaders would be quite the "bad training" in today's tactical-EVERYTHING training "mindset." Unless they were also carrying big, tall, bulky, fragile speedloaders on duty.

Heh -- but even in 1988-89 when I was watching them... most of those guys were probably issued 9mm semi-auto pistols anyway. And for sure, nobody worked the mean streets with a K or L-frame sporting a gargantuan barrel and an Aristocrat sight. :D

AK103K

You had to keep hands OFF the cylinder and simply push the stem of the speedloader for it to work properly, IIRC.
Ive never used the Safariland competition loaders, but with the Comp I and II's, I hold the cylinder just like I do with the HKS loaders (thumb over the cylinder) I have when loading.

I have never used any speedloaders other than the classic HKS and while I would bet some work faster or easier, it just seems to me that when worked as a whole system of loading, shooting and ejecting... my fingers are through the frame and grasping that cylinder as a matter of course of proper and certain ejecting.
I used to reload my revolvers the same way, as it was how I was initially taught. I later learned the method Ayoob teaches, that I find is quicker and more positive with ejection. It also keeps your hand from getting burned with multiple quick reloads.

Sevens

EASY THERE ----------- I carried a 686 until 1999..................
Okay. Was it 58 ounces dry? Did you go armed with six rounds of 148-grain swaged lead hollowbase wadcutters stoked with 2.7gr of Bullseye? Did you smoke-blacken your sights before each shift of work? Did you have an open-front speed-rig holster on duty? Did you engage foes & perps at three regulated distances?

:confused::D

MrBorland

In addition to the Safariland Comp series (I - III), there are the JetLoader and the SL Variants.

Jetloaders are similar to CompIIIs, but don't have a shroud around the spring, which, IMO, is an advantage, since I've seen crud in and around the CompIII shroud tie the loader up. The body of the Jetloader is just a wee bit smaller in diameter than the CompIII, which gives it just a wee bit more room when inserting the rounds.

The SL Variants use individual springs behind each cartridge, and are made in a bit wider array than the CompIIIs or JetLoaders. They also utilize a removable handle, so they can be used in competition or for carry (with and without the handle, respectively); they are, however, expensive and very hard to find.

BigJimP

I prefer the Jet Loader over the Safariland as well..../ I think its a better product. But they're both better than the HKS twist option...

Kosh75287

Neither The Jet Loader nor the SL variants appear to be available for a Ruger Security Six. Safariland it IS, I suppose. Thanks for the help, fellas.

AzShooter

I too have used Safariland I II and IIIs but find Jetloaders to work better. There are also Dade loaders but they are almost impossible to find other than on E-bay.

I cut down the loaders so that they only hold onto the rims of the cases. This makes them load faster and I never get one to come back out of the cylinder during a fast reload.

849ACSO

Okay. Was it 58 ounces dry? Did you go armed with six rounds of 148-grain swaged lead hollowbase wadcutters stoked with 2.7gr of Bullseye? Did you smoke-blacken your sights before each shift of work? Did you have an open-front speed-rig holster on duty? Did you engage foes & perps at three regulated distances?

No, but............... Your comment reminded me of how old I am getting and I wanted NO PART OF IT..............;)

Last edited:

MrBorland

Kosh75287 said:
Neither The Jet Loader nor the SL variants appear to be available for a Ruger Security Six. Safariland it IS, I suppose.

I've never tested it myself, but I've read that speedloaders that'll work for a S&W K-frame (e.g. models 10, 13, 19, etc) will also work in Security & Service Six Rugers. If so, that'll open your options quite a bit.

AzShooter said:
I cut down the loaders so that they only hold onto the rims of the cases.

Some moderate "Bubberizing" is standard on my Jetloaders, too. And some (older ones?) don't have a solid center plunger, in which case I fill the hole with JB weld.

JetLoader2.jpg