Specific, basic question re: 5.56 vs .223

Chris_B

There's a .223 thread here and it never really got down to brass tacks. I was hoping to see a specific answer to something in that thread and I just don't see it.

I will set the stage with an example:

I bought a Colt Sporter Target the other day. I am new to ARs but not to firearms or rifles; I own an M1 rifle and an M1 carbine. I fired my first rifle at nine (1903A3) in 1980, and have fired ARs, .22 bolt guns, Mausers, Moisins, M1As, etc

And one thing I know about firearms is that I never want to 'know enough to be dangerous'. I want to know what I'm doing, period.

So back to the Colt: what I understand is this- the lower receiver has .223 stamped on it. When the rifle was new, it was meant to fire .223 ammunition. However, the barrel reads "5.56 NATO". This means the upper has a barrel on it that is for 5.56

The rule of thumb I have been told is that a 5.56 rifle can fire .223 and 5.56 with no risk. It does not however work the other way around, because of the way the chamber is shaped on the 5.56 rifle

And again, what I am told (and what seems logical from inspecting the upper and lower) is that if your upper is in 5.56, it doesn't matter what the lower reads, the upper receiver/barrel combo is the part that has the chamber and therefore dictates the caliber.

So, in this way, by purchasing different barrels if you have the wrench and a vise and care to do it, or if you purchase another upper/barrel combo, you can easily and rapidly change caliber from say .223 to .458. You use the same lower and the different upper and barrel or barrel. The design of the rifle makes this possible, hence the flexibility and ease of adaptation to various needs, and the popularity of the design to a large degree. Seems all ducky and logical and easy to understand, to me at least

Now, all of that is what I am told. In plain English, is it correct? Using my example of the .223 lower and the barrel which reads 5.56, I am given to understand the rifle I have is chambered for 5.56, and therefore can safely fire .223 and 5.56. Is that correct? The evidence of my eyes says 'yes'. But that is as good as knowing enough to be dangerous

Guesswork is something I try to stay way away from with firearms, and I know I don't for sure know the answer. I only think I know. In fact, I didn't even buy ammo for the damn rifle because I didn't feel knowledgeable enough about it. And it is pretty and mocking me. My 1943 and 1944 rifles have probably already taken it's lunch money for being the new kid

On the plus side, a buddy gave me an M16A1 operators manual today :)

mdd

Chris, I doubt very strongly that your 67 & 68 year old rifles took lunch money from "the kid". Most likely they told him to shut up & mow the yard or he won't get to use the car this weekend.

sheabyrd1

From what I have been told the 5.56 NATO cartraige has a stronger webb and can handle higher psi and loading's which is why rifles chambered for 5.56 are backwards compatible with .223 Anyone confer with this?

Magog

I am a newbi, but the pressure of the round is maintained in the barell and chamber.

the lower is just the trigger mag well, and butt stock.

But, I have a mini 14, and it says 223, but everyone knows it can take the 5.56, but not the target model.

In my opinion, the government does not want a lot of people with 5.56 because of the massive damage it does to human targets.

A 7.62x39 can go though stuff oh yeah, but a 5.56 will hit a person in the elbow and come out the ******* and rip everything apart between the to.

Edward Horton

The European CIP rates both the .223 and 5.56 as having the same chamber pressure, the basic difference is the throat and freebore between the two. I just bought a Stevens 200 .223 with a 1 in 9 twist and longer throated to accept both types of ammunition. The wylde throated M16/A4 is throated between the standard .223 and the military 5.56 NATO throat and can shoot both types of ammunition safely.

Because SAAMI chamber pressures are measured at a different location than military the chamber pressures read differently. If the military 5.56 NATO is fired with newer longer ammunition in the minimum spec .223 Remington chamber it will be 17,550 PSI over the maximum rated pressure. The real difference is the throat and freebore variations in various firearms and the resulting pressures.

556natochamberversus223remingtonchamber02.jpg

223-556chamberjpg.jpg

wylde223.jpg

Last edited: