Specialized 22 pistol recommendations...

Duxman

Everyone,

I am looking for your input on a 22 pistol that can be accurate to 50 yards +, can take a red dot scope easily (no fancy modifications), and if possible (optional) aftermarket parts for different barrel lengths, and a stock.

Handy

A stock? I don't think anyone is making a pistol that will take a stock since that would make it an SBR requiring a $200 tax stamp. Browning makes a stocked rifle version of the Buckmark, but the stock is not removeable.

chris in va

Hey Dux, I saw a guy at the NRA range with a SWEET Ruger 10/22 that he converted to a folding stock carbine and pistol grip. He said it didn't cost that much either.

You're welcome to try out my 22/45 Target with red dot when we hook up. Not a match pistol, but still accurate.

Jim Watson

It is not legal for an American to own a stocked pistol, except for some curios like Lugers and Mausers and whatever might have been registered like a machine gun before 1986.

TC Contender is the only thing I know of as versatile as you specify. You didn't say it had to be a repeater.

Handy

Jim, it is legal to own a stocked pistol, as I mentioned. People do it all the time, but it takes some paper work and cash.

SBRs and machineguns are completely different.

yekimak

beretta has a convertable pistol/carbine out.....looks goofier than the storm, but it would be just the ticket for ya...unless you can fins an old high standard, there were a few smiths that made carbine kits for them, last one I saw what a serious bull barrel, but was nice.

mikikanazawa

I just bought a Ruger 22/45 (5.5" bbl.) and it came with a real nice scope rail. The rail blocks the iron sights, but it fits perfectly (unlike every other bolt-on scope rail I've seen).

Can't comment on this gun's accuracy at 50 yard ranges. Not yet anyway. Considering rimfire match ammo is subsonic, the length of the barrel probably isn't as much of a consideration.

357SIG

SIG makes a great pistol, known in Euope as the X-Esse, at a cheap price.
Just a few day ago, I shot it at 25 yards with the same accuracy as a long gun at the same distance.

I think it's marketed in the US as the "Trailside" but not sure.

Hal

a 22 pistol that can be accurate to 50 yards +, can take a red dot scope easily (no fancy modifications), and if possible (optional) aftermarket parts for different barrel lengths, and a stock.

Smith and Wesson 22/s fits everything except the stock option.
- Built in rails on the barrel make mounting a scope or Red Dot easy.
- 3 different factory barrels are available - 4 if you buy a .22/a with a 4" barrel and swap it out.
- Accurate enough @ 50 yards scoped to rival a rifle if the shooter is up to it. Mine w/ 7 1/2" barrel and scope will keep 50 shots inside a hole as small as a quarter (on the majority of good days) (on a bad day the hole can grow as large as a half dollar, depending on the wind)

Downside is the gun really isn't that well made. I don't recommend it for anyone that wants a typical .22 plinker that they are going to put huge number of rounds downrange with.
For a WOW!!! can that gun SHOOT! type of gun that has multiple barrel configurations it's perfect.

It ain't cheap either once you get all the extra's assembled. Mine was $269. add $200 for the 2 spare barrels ($99 ea), the scope added $70 and the Red Dot another $50 and $20 for the large Docksell(?) plastic carry case needed for all that stuff it's just about $600. Add another $269 for a complete 22/a with a 4" barrel if you want all the possible lengths covered.

Jim Watson

I had fogotten you could still apply to the rulers for a short barrelled rifle license. I can't see why you would want to.

Duxman

Thanks Gentlemen. These are some great recommendations. Will do research on the recommended pieces and let all of you know which one I go with....Q: Has anyone used an EAA .22 target Pistol? Been reading some good things about them.