"special" loads in "magnum" cases (.38, .44)?

sawdustdad

What are the concerns with using .357 cases and .44 mag cases to create low power loads? Specifically, any reason you can't use .357 cases with .38 special load data? Same with .44 mag/special. I realize the case sizes are different and this might affect powder burn rate/pressures. Is this just not advisable or is it routinely done? If done, how would you go about it?

Sevens

I've found two genuine issues when you go to do this. First is that the increased, extra space absolutely affects the load and especially when used in combination with a light-for-caliber bullet, you end up with something that is often FAR too light even for whatever your goal might have been. Also been my experience that a revolver and it's flash-gap leave a serious pressure relief valve which is not a good thing when you're crafting light (or TOO light) loads because it gives that needed pressure an easy escape route... which leads to a stuck bullet.

The other issue I find often is the powder position sensitivity when running just about ANY load that simply doesn't use a lot of the gargantuan available interior combustion space. The loads run erratically depending on where the powder happens to be when you squeeze the trigger. You can stand there on the range and alter the way each shot discharges & feels simply by tipping the revolver muzzle up or muzzle down. This is obviously not what I'm ever going to want.

When Hodgdon Titegroup first hit the market, some gun writers did reviews of it and claimed that it was incredibly insensitive to powder position and while I'm not a fan of Titegroup so much, I do very much agree that it's awfully good in this regard. As such, it's what I use for the light .44 Mag load I use on steel plates, 240gr LSWC at 870. Not exactly a super-light load in the opinion of many I'm sure, but it's fun to shoot from a massive 7.5" Redhawk.

IMR Trail Boss is a popular powder to use for light loads... they came up with a propellent that is fast burning but the flakes are HUGE, it's very bulky and even when you just fill an entire case with it (taking care to -NOT- compress) then it gives decent results for low pressure, light loads that are consistent. But you do indeed fill a case, IMR has actually published the technique for developing loads with it as "fill the case to the bottom of the slug taking care not to compress, then weigh this charge and consider it your max load."

buck460XVR

I load "special" type loads in "magnum" cases all the time for my .357s and .44s. Both for use in the revolvers and in the carbines. I make sure I use a bulky powder that is not position sensitive like Unique. Not a problem.

Pond James Pond

I'd understood that one quality of the .44Mag was that it could be loaded strong as well as weak. I'd understood that it was possible to approximate the upper end of the .44 Spl range, but I've not tried it. I have .44Spl cases for that.

.357 on the other hand I had clearly understood that this was a no-no.
I may of course be wrong the .44 part too...

sawdustdad

Sensitivity to position of the small amount of powder in the case is one issue that I've thought about. In fact, just last week as I was loading 3.3g of Nitro100NF in a .38 special case, it occurred to me that such a small amount of powder in that case might not ignite consistently. The range proved me wrong as that load grouped very well and was fun to shoot. (or at least it seemed that way, I don't have a chrono to confirm REAL results. So may be anecdotal)

So the thought process naturally progressed...if such a small charge works OK in the .38 case, it should still work OK in the .357 case... and maybe in the .44 as well.

My motive here is to try some plinking loads in my .44 super blackhawk--so thinking I could use some .44 special data in my .44 mag cases. The alternative, of course, and perfectly acceptable, is to buy .44 special brass. But I so hate to sort .38 from .357 that I thought I could avoid the same drill with .44 brass by just using .44 mag brass for both loads... tinkering around a bit...

FlyFish

I've been loading the equivalent of .38 Special loads in .357 cases and the equivalent of .44 Special loads in .44 Mag cases for about 35 years, using a variety of powders and bullets. I haven't experienced any problems, and accuracy, which (as expected) is variable depending on the actual load recipe, doesn't appear to be any more variable than with full-power magnum loads. I'm told that if you really want to duplicate the velocity when using the larger case you should bump the load up by 10% or so. I'll have to try that some time.

TimSr

Like Flyfish, but I've only been doing it 30 years in .357 and .44. Use a fast powder made for light target loads, and you won't see much difference. Powder position is really only an issue with slow powders that are harder to ignite. The empty case space is usally only an issue with powders that like a full case, which tend to be slower powders. Bullseye was always my preferred powder for light lead loads, but Unique works well also. Even Red Dot works well. I've not much played with all these new powders though.

Nick_C_S

Lots of good answers already. But I'll chime in - pardoning any redundance.

What are the concerns with using .357 cases and .44 mag cases to create low power loads?

The primary concern is excessive case space internal volume. It creates a condition inherent to inconsistent ignitions and burn rates. Notice I said "inherent," I did not to say it "will;" but it does set the stage for a condition that would lend itself so. But not likely to be dangerous.

Specifically, any reason you can't use .357 cases with .38 special load data? (Same with .44 mag/special.)

Yes. To simply "move over" a 38 recipe into a 357 case will only exacerbate the aforementioned inherent problems as stated above. Results will likely be less than satisfactory. I would not recommend this.

You would need to compensate the recipe (slightly increase the powder charge) to bring the ballistic results back to the original 38-case recipe.

I realize the case sizes are different and this might affect powder burn rate/pressures.

It does. It has the net effect of slowing the powder burn rate. It would be a bit like switching Bullseye with Unique - for lack of a more technical explanation.

Is this just not advisable or is it routinely done?

Yes. And yes :D .

It's generally discouraged (I don't do it), but many people do it. It appears that buck460XVR does. I've read enough of his posts to know he is a thoughtful and experienced loader; so I have no doubt it works for him.

If done, how would you go about it?

I'm of the school of thought that you want to minimize superfluous case space - not increase it. So it's a practice in which I do not endeavor. IMO 38/44 Spl cases are excessively cavernous as it is. I choose not to add even more case space. In fact, I've gone in the other direction by tinkering with 38 Long Colt & 38 Short Colt cases for target loads. Let's just say it's a "work in progress" - and leave it at that; for the sake of keeping this thread pointed in the right direction.

reloader28

I load upper end special loads all the time in mags.
Not much recoil, accurate and more fun to shoot than heavy loads.
These are my target plinking loads.

rclark

With Unique at least just load a grain more. So to duplicate the .44 Special skeeter load, just load 8.5g or Unique. Works for me. I have really no reason to load 'magnum' loads in my magnums, so always downloading them to 'fun' loads. Tis the beauty of reloading!!! Load what you 'like' to shoot.

Last edited:

ballardw

Is there some reason no one is recommending to look at the low end of the loads for .357 and .44 mag? If you meet those you should be good to go.

rclark

low end of the loads for .357 and .44 mag?
Usually they are hotter than you want 'em to be. I like to be around 900-1000fps for .357 for example for my loads. There is absolutely no problem in loading down to say 700fps though. None what so ever. Try some Trail Boss for example to get you there, or other fast powders with lead bullets.

Last edited:

sawdustdad

That's where I am now, trying the starting loads for .44mag. The .44sp loads are lower still, so was just wondering "how low can I go?"

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I'm going to do some more testing over the next couple weeks. I've got a variety of suitable powders (though maybe not ideal powders) and will see how it goes.

I plan to take a "work down the loads" approach. ;)

Last edited:

sawdustdad

Right now I only have 240g jacketed HP bullets on hand. But I have various amounts of Nitro100NF, 700x, HP-38, Unique, 800x, Autocomp, AA#7, 2400, 296, IMR4227. I need to get some lighter bullets--thinking 200g.

I normally run 296 or 2400 in my full house .44 mag rounds. After 50 rounds, my hand feels a little rubbery, and it's difficult to hold a pen and write something for an hour or so.

I'd like to be able to shoot 100 rounds or more, without this effect.

rclark

You can stick with 240s, just go lighter on the powder. Since you have Unique (in your above list) try the 8.5g load under 240g SWC (or your hollow points) and see what you think. It's a nice accurate load. You can go all the way down to 7.0g too if not light enough. I would think about using lead SWC bullets also as jacketed is just a waste of money (in my mind). But that is your call. HP-38/W231 is another good powder for this too on you list. 7.5g (970fps) or 8.0g (1004fps) under 240g SWC isn't bad either.

2400, 296, 4227 are really to slow for good results on the low pressure loads.
No experience with 100NF, 700x, 800x, or Autocomp.

Pathfinder45

I concur..........

........with rclark's post. Any load appropriate to a 45 Colt can be duplicated in a 44 magnum with a very slight reduction in powder. I helped my buddy tame his 44 magnum by using 45 Colt data as a reference. Cured his flinch by taking the ouch out of the equation and made the game a lot more fun. Allow me to comment about this:
After 50 rounds, my hand feels a little rubbery, and it's difficult to hold a pen and write something for an hour or so.
I honestly believe this is a repetitive impact injury. If you keep doing it you could develop permanent damage. I don't know how old you are, but I am turning 59. If I hammer at things with my hands the way I did when was younger, it hurts more and takes a lot longer to stop hurting. I still run some pretty warm loads through my Vaquero; maybe 4 cylinders of 255's at 1,250 is plenty. The really hot stuff? No, thank you; every shot stings and 2 cylinders later a flinch begins to develop. My standard loads are 255 handcasts at 1,000-1,100 fps and, by golly, I run a lot more for practice between 850 and 900fps. Try 5.5 to 6 grains of Titegroup or Red Dot with 240 grainers in your 44 magnum. Limit the hot loads to one or two cylinders and stop injuring yourself. Your hands need to last the rest of your life.

NWPilgrim

The difference in case length of Special and magnum is pretty small compared to the empty volume so I don't think the magnum case is any different than a Special case for light loads. I like 5.5 gr unique with a 240 gr lead bullet for a very light load and great accuracy, or 7.5 gr Unique for a light-medium load. Even a very dense (small volume) like W231 gives great accuracy with 7 gr under a 240 gr lead bullet, though this is more of a medium load like the 10.0 gr of Unique.

hartcreek

DO NOT USE 296 AND TRY AND MAKE A REDUCED LOAD.

296 is one of those powders that requires full pressure loadings. If you try and use 296 it will give you bad pressure spikes when there is an air bubble in the case. There have been numerous warnings about 296. I had not heard the warnings years ago and I was using 296 for .44 Special and Magnum so I tried reducing loads with this powder.....and instead my primers got flatter and my empties would not eject.

I still use 296 for maximum loads for my .44 Special and Magnum but use Red Dot for cowboy loads for my buntline.