special equip. for .50 cal?

predator86

ok so i dont currently reload, i was reading up on reloading equipment and was just doing some price checking at the local scheels, i asked a couple people there if i needed special equipment for reloading .50 bmg, no one knew so i came here..will a standard press work? i would like to reload .308 and .50 BMG. if i can avoid having 2 presses then that would be great, also i am on a strict bugdet so if there is a way to do it cheaper that would be much appreciated!!

rwilson452

Look at the Lee classic cast press you can get a 50BMG kit for it. It's about the cheapest way I have heard about. Not that loading 50BMG is cheap anyway. Most presses can't handle the 50 BMG

Jbar4Ranch

Ya gotta have a press with a longer stroke than standard presses. I use an RCBS Ammomaster with RCBS dies. Standard die threads are 7/8" x 14, while .50 BMG die threads are either 1 1/4" x 12 (Lee) or 1 1/2" x 12 (RCBS & Hornady).

slotracer577

The lee press with dies is about $170, less than anyone elses dies alone. It will also do regular dies as well. The only thing I found it wouldnt do was the RCBS primer swager die. The ram was too big on the lee press. Had to buy a 2nd press to use the RCBS primer die.

Right now CCI #35 primers are about $27/100, Amax is $38/20 and new brass is $1+ per pc.

slotracer577

Midway has magtech brass $38 for 25, $333 for 250. Sportsmans warehouse also carries it, usually $32 for 25. They usually only have one or two boxes, but I have a couple hundred rounds that I have collected over the months.

I also found someone who had winchester primed for ~$1.50/round. http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

John

imdarren

The RCBS Rock Chuck will do 50BMG. Thats why there is a big threaded insert adapter in the top, to reduce the larger threads for the 50BMG down to the standard threads for the rest of us poor folks. :D
The Rock Chuck is about $125. Cant go wrong.

Jbar4Ranch

Your logic is flawed. An empty .50 BMG case won't fit into the Rock Chucker's window, even with no shell holder on the ram.

slotracer577

I thought you could get extensions for a rock chucker to do 50. Still the RCBS dies are $180+ just for the dies. The advantage over the lee setup is that lee uses 1 144 dies and everyone else uses 1 1/2 dies. So if you want a nice neck sizing die, you are out of luck with the lee setup. But then most of those dies are $200+

Someone does make a bushing to allow using lee 1 1/4 dies in a standard 1 1/2 threaded press. The lee dies are about $80 for the 2 dies, still the cheapest way to go.

John