Spare batteries for red dot sights

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am thinking of placing a couple of spare AA batteries into the buttstock space in my AR15. Would lithiums or some other type stay fresh longest? In general, how does one deal with the effects of cold or heat on the batteries? For now, I have iron sights and red dot (with which I can shoot better) co-witnessed...but I might let go of the red dot if the logisitics issues turn out to be unsolvable. Could people who carry rifles on hunting trips or patrols please comment?

MarineTech

It has been my experience that batteries and therefore the devices that use them will fail at the worst possible moment. While battery design has come a long way over the years, they are still affected by extremes in temperature and other climatic conditions. Also, replacing the batteries for these sights is a pain in the field since you can't touch most of them with your fingers and it's very easy to get crud into the battery well so that you can't get a good connection.

My advice would be to look into a tritium sight for the AR (Trijicon or Leupold CQB).

Last edited:

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
The problem with tritium sights is that their half-life is short and the sights get dimmer over just a few years. I have yeat to hear of any workable "rejuvination" services.

I keep iron sights co-located with the red dot, so if batteries fail, I have a normal sight picture.

I also plan on testing Weaver K2.5 conventional scope on a .22 rifle, to determine if it would make a usable fighting scope (again, need to figure out how to keep iron sights instantly or quickly accessible without using high scope mount). Folding rear sight might be the way, need to test a few theories.

The problem with tritium sights is that their half-life is short and the sights get dimmer over just a few years. I have yeat to hear of any workable "rejuvination" services.

Trijicon (assuming they are in business and available to you) can replace the tritium in their sights for $35 when it becomes too dim for your liking.

My advice would be to look into a tritium sight for the AR (Trijicon or Leupold CQB).

The CQB is battery powered.

Personally, I don't have any problem with batteries, particularly in the Aimpoint and other long-lived sites. I think you'd be just fine stashing a spare pare of lithium AAs in the stock and replacing them every six months or so.

Denny Hansen

Staff Emeritus
Oleg,
While I personally don't care for battery-operated optics on a rifle, many do--that's why Ford and Chevrolet are both still in business. For carrying extra batteries on an AR, check this site: www.tangodownllc.com. They may have what you are looking for.

Denny

johnwill

To answer the original question, I'd see if you could round up the lithium cells, they'll last for years in storage. Even good quality alkaline cells have a shelf life of around 7 years. I have a couple of packs of alkaline batteries with 2009 as a "use by" date on them, they've been in the drawer for a few months.