Spare Barrel?

CWL

Folks,

Time for me to have built a 1911 fighting pistol (70 Series foundation). I've envied too many people who have carried the same pistol for 10-30 years and now it's my turn for a truly personal firearm.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a second barrel fitted (maybe w/bushing) at the same time that the gun is fitted. This way, I'll always have a spare that is as original as the gun.

Whatd'ya think of this idea?

Jim V

Works for me, I doubt that you will shoot a barrel out but I have seen barrels that have sheared the link lugs off and I've seen bulged barrels.

I'd consider having a second hammer/sear set made up at the same time so if fomething goes south with them it would not take much to get going again.

shy_man

In my case, it is a good idea to have a spare but purchasing a barrel of a 1911 in most gunstore here almost half of the price of the main gun. Also, the law here considered a barrel as a complete gun. My only purpose to have one perhaps is when I have other intention to use of not being traced. I will have a spare barrel and a spare firing pin, that way the gun is clean whenever it was used in foul-play.

Hkmp5sd

the law here considered a barrel as a complete gun

I wonder how long before some dumocrat starts complaining that the only reason to have a spare barrel is to get around "ballistic fingerprinting" and creates a law like that here.

Rick R

From what I've seen with the 1911 you'd be better off with the spare sear, hammer and a spare slide stop as these are the parts that usually break.

ymmv

CWL

Yeah, these other parts are parts I could buy and drop in myself, -or worse case, cannibalize from a spare 1911. Fitted barrel & bushing is something that is beyond my means.