Spanish FR 7

HankC1

FR7 is small ring converted to 7.62/.308. You probably have heard all the warning on small ring .308. FR8 is large ring.

49willys

I've been researching the FR7 a littleand have read lots of different opinions about the small ring mausers.I think as long as I load light I will be alright.Ever heard how they shoot?

10-96

That would be hard to answer. Not knowing the condition of the bbl, whether it's straight with the receiver, how it was treated in general over the past 60-70 yrs has a lot to say about how it shoots. I don't know, but that could have a little to do with why you're not getting a lot of feedback on that question. Typically, just about any Mauser type action can be a pure joy to collect and shoot if it's in decent shape. I always thought it would be a hoot to have one chambered in .250-3000, .257 Bob, or .300 Savage- but still keep it as close to it's original appearance as possible.

claymore1500

I have a Spanish M1916, almost the same rifle (Small ring, originally 7mm, rechambered to 7.62x51) I can tell you this, With factory .308 win. it has some pretty harsh recoil. I suppose this is due to the straight stock configuration and the fact that the bbl. mics. to .307, and the bullets mic. to .308.

Never the less, I can put as many holes in the ten ring at 50yds as I care to, even with the crappy, very small iron sights.

I plan to upgrade to a new dillon press someday so I can load for rifles and do some light loads for it, I personally like the little gun.

49willys

Good shootin'.I really hope it is in good shape(seller told me it was,but I don't know him)I am looking for a nice shooting mauser that is a little different than what most people think of when you mention the word mauser.I really like the looks of the FR7 and FR 8,so it will fit fine in my safe.

claymore1500

Just a suggestion, If you can, I would get the headspace checked before you buy.

If it is within specs then try to keep the loads light and you shouldn't have any problems, As I understand, if you handload, and keep the loads in the area of the 300 savage, the chamber pressure will be comparable to the original 7mm loads.

Full house .308 win. loads MAY damage the bolt lugs and adversly effect the headspace.

49willys

I don't think I will be able to get the HS checked before,I did plan on taking it straight to a smith right after though.I don't know,maybe if I ask real nice he'll let me get it checked first.Would a new bolt body possibly correct head space?I wish I had a field gage to take with me.
I have plans to make it my cast bullet target shooter if it can be made accurate enough,I think keeping the pressure down around 35000 cup should be perfect for 200 to 300 yrd target shooting.

49willys

Well,I was able to get the hs checked.It closed on a factory feild guage but,wouldn't close on it with one layer of scotch tape on it so i'ts within tolerence.Slightly loose but,within tolerence.Can't remember the exact numbers on the gauge,but was allowed 2 thousandths.