Spacers for 38 Special to 357 Mag

roc1

I know you need .135 spacers for your dies but forgot which way it works. I believe you put spacer under die for 38 and remove it to load 357 mag correct?
Thanks
Roc1

buck460XVR

No, just the opposite. The washer makes up for the increased height of the magnum cases. You do not use it for sizing as that die needs to be adjusted to the shell holder.

skizzums

can you please imbelish on what you are talking about? i have only loaded 38 but plan to soon load 357 when collect brass. so your saying i need a higher shell holder to load the 357? or a higher holder to load 38 from 357 dies?

BuckRub

Set RCBS dies for 38 special and when doing 357 mags, size same but use ring under die for belling and seating die only. Just for the 357 mags. And they say it should be about the same. It just moves dies away from shell holder to compensate according. You can look at your setup and know why they put it in your set.

Last edited:

BigD_in_FL

If you have a RCBS three die set, you will have the spacer washer included; it gets placed under the second and third dies, not the first sizing die - has nothing to do with the shellholder

Nick_C_S

If you have a RCBS three die set, you will have the spacer washer included; it gets placed under the second and third dies, not the first sizing die.

And you use it for 357 Magnum cases. Remove it when working with 38 Special.

F. Guffey

If reloaders adjust their dies every time they use them the spacer is not necessary, reloaders that need the spacer are the reloadders that insist on locking the lock ring to the die. The spacer is used for crimping 357 cases.

F. Guffey

BuckRub

I use so many different bullets just about every sitting so I usually adjust my dies everytime anyway. Idk but if you set dies with 38 and spacer then not with 357 mags. It probably will crush your casings so you'll know you screwed up pretty quick. Maybe or maybe not.

BuckRub

The 3die set from RCBS with also do either. But it's a plus I guess to set dies for one or the other, set lock ring then if you do other caliber you just add spacer or take away and your good to go.

BigD_in_FL

The spacer is used for crimping 357 cases.

It is used to flare the case mouth in the second die as well. It is also used to properly seat the bullet so it does not get seated too deep. The only die it does not get used for is the first depriming/resizing die as case length does not matter in that one

Real Gun

The spacer is based on the difference in case length, so it is not brand specific. Any die with the de facto standard thread diameter can use the spacer.

I have the set by Redding, which provides three thicknesses...1) 38/357 Mag 2) 44 Spl/44 Mag, and 3) an .062 spacer to eliminate crimp from a seater die setting.

Yes, your Lee dies can use other brands of spacers.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by BigD_in_FL:

the first sizing die - has nothing to do with the shellholder

Don't know how you adjust them, but for me, the adjustment of the sizing dies has everything to do with the shellholder. With steel dies and straight walled handgun the die is adjusted so that it just "kisses" the shellholder. With carbide dies you adjust it a few thousandths above the shellholder so it does not contact it and crack the carbide ring. This adjustment is the same with either .357/.44 special or their sister mag cases. That is why the spacer ring is not needed. You are working from the shellholder or base of the case and not the top of the case.

jmorris

Someone makes tool heads for Dillons that have a shim that you swap from top to bottom or reverse, when going from 38/357 or 44spl/44mag. it moves them all at once.

I have never used one though.