SP101 Strange Quirk is it normal?

Master Blaster

I was practicing my trigger control and I noticed a strange quirk with my Sp101, I was hoping that another sp101 owner would check an see if their gun does the same thing.

When I cock the hammer for single action and then I squeeze the trigger very very very slowly, the hammer will fall to the double action notch in the sear, at least that is what I think happens. If I then continue to pull the trigger rearward it will fall normally, if I release the trigger then the hammer is lowered to the frame.

Is this normal for the sp101?

Thanks

C.R.Sam

I'm not a Ruger man but if ANY firearm of mine acted that way I would consider it broken.

Sam...my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R

at2000

That definitely is not normal. I have an SP101 and the single action trigger pull is heavy but breaks cleanly.

Fatcat

Something is definately wrong.. but if it still shoots, I can't see the harm in it. ;)

I would get a gunsmith to take a look at it, though.

Master Blaster

You have to pull the trigger very very very very slowly for this to happen. If you cock and pull single action only slowly the hammer will fall normally. I have put 300 rounds through it so far and it has not malfunctioned in any way when shooting it normally.

So could any sp101 owner please try pulling the trigger in SA very very very very slowly (like in a bulseye slow fire match but at about half the speed) thanks.

I will put in a call to ruger today.

James K

Member In Memoriam
What is happening is that what Ruger calls the "hammer dog" (others call it the hammer lifter) is falling onto the trigger, so that last part of the pull is essentially double action.

This should not happen normally, because the involuntary motion of the trigger finger after hammer release should be enough to move the trigger past the point where the "dog" can engage it.

The fact is that you are delieberately using the gun in a very abnormal manner, but it is also possible that the single action pull is too light or that the gun is not fitted properly. Has the gun been worked on to lighten the trigger pull? If so, it may need a new trigger or new hammer or both.

Jim