SP101 Grips

ScotchMan

How much will changing the stock SP101 grips (rubber) out for wooden grips affect the recoil? I have an SP101 I got largely for my girlfriend to use, but it is still technically mine, and I *love* the look of the Badger boot grips. But she is fairly recoil sensitive and I feel adding any more to the equation would be a bad idea.

Likewise, if they make Hogue Tamers or something similar for the SP101, how much better will that make it?

dahermit

I had an SP101. The rubber grips that came with it are poorly shaped and did not do well with the recoil. I switched to Hogue mono-grip and that made the gun infinitely more shootable.

rc

I also have the hogue grips. They are still a bit small but have enough room for my pinky. The factory grip is way to short. You have limited options with the SP101. Having a 327 would make the recoil a whole lot less. I assume you have the 357. That's enough to make a grown man cry. 130 grain hydrashok 38 specials and 130 FMJ military ammo for practice should take a lot of the bit out of the SP101.

ScotchMan

I have the .38 only, actually. Which is fine, I don't intend on shooting .357s, and my girlfriend certainly doesn't. She can handle .38 +Ps now, but if I could make it a little easier she'd be more likely to practice.

I don't love the stock grips either, but size-wise we are ok. I prefer shorter grips for CC, and my girlfriend has smaller hands and can get her pinky on there. I'm looking to improve aesthetically, or recoil-wise, or both.

Badger boot grips just speak to me...maybe I'll put them on a J-frame and make the SP101 softer for the gf.

Ashlander

The factory grips on my SP101 exposed a joint on my middle finger to a beating by the trigger guard every time I pulled the trigger. The Hogue monogrips solved that problem, but any wooden grip that covers the back of the trigger guard so it won't smack the joint on your middle finger would be an improvement.

I also bought a Woolf spring set for it. To lighten the trigger pull. I put in the 12 pound spring (factory is 14). Cost only a few bucks on-line.

Good luck with the new gun.

Laker

I have Hogue grips on my 3" 101. Pachmayr's may be the answer for smaller hands. I've found smooth wood grips to be slippery when wet. Wood grips do look great at a barbque though.

Last edited:

ScotchMan

I've also found if I try to conceal the SP101, the rubber sticks to my shirt really bad. I haven't spent a lot of effort on it, since the SR9c conceals easily and is the gun I bought for that purpose. But it'd be nice to have the wood boot grips for that too.

napg19

I agree with Ashlander on the grips. I used the wolf 10lb hammer spring. I don't have the strongest hands so for me this is good. You can try Federal .38 spl. 110gr. low recoil hydra shock HP. When you shoot these you can feel the weight of the SP101 eat up the recoil.

Teuthis

i really like the factory rubber grips. I do not think I need to spend any money on something else. It shoots fine.

ClydeFrog

Ruger SP101 revolver grips....

If you'd want new after market revolver grips for a Ruger SP101, I'd look into the top notch Craig Spegel grips, Hogue or maybe the great CT lasergrips; www.crimsontrace.com . I like Hogue rubber Tamer grips. I purchased a Tamer for my 4" barrel Ruger GPNY in 2006.
Spegel has boot grips concealment grips made of high quality wood.
For protection or home defense, the CT lasergrips may do well.
Clyde

ronto

The rubber Hogue MonoGrip tames the recoil best in my 357 DAO. I'm more concerned with function than "looks".