SP101: bobbed hammer or not???

ZWolfgang

I'm interested in hearing your views on whether to buy the bobbed hammer SP101 or the model with the exposed hammer. Since it's not a target gun and would most likely be used double action in a hurry (defense), it seems that bobbed would pull from concealment more smoothly. But I like the option of being able to cock the hammer... so that's my quandry... what do you guys think?

Dfariswheel

The chances of being able, (or needing) to cock a close range defense revolver are slim.

On the other hand the chances of getting the hammer spur fouled in clothing is much higher.

You have to consider the percentages on question like this.
So:
What are the chances you would need or even have the time to cock a revolver in a "real-world" defense situation?

What kind of carry will you use, and what type clothing do you wear?

What are the chances the hammer spur could snag or foul?

There is one option.
Years ago, the prime defense snub revolver was the Colt Detective Special. It was a common practice to cut the hammer spur off and groove or checker the top of the hammer.
This removed the snag potential, but allowed the hammer to still be cocked since the single action feature wasn't compromised.

This can also be done to the standard spurred Ruger hammer.

The only problem with this, is the hammer is difficult to grip with the thumb, since there is a very small gripping area.

Old timer revolver men used to start the hammer back with the trigger, then hook the thumb over the now more exposed hammer.
The problem here, is the very high potential to squeeze the trigger a little too much, and fire the gun accidentally, especially under stress.

In modern gun handling, techniques like this are an absolute NO-NO.

My suggestion is to do the "real-world" percentages analysis. If you come to the conclusion there's little chance of needing or being able to employ the single action feature, buy the hammerless version.

It's quite effective and fast into use, and has virtually no chance of snagging or fouling.

As for double action shooting, excellent, even surprising accuracy can be obtained with a DA trigger by simply practicing.

seed

I have one with the exposed hammer. I also like the option of SA. But if you are going to carry it, consider that it is pretty big and heavy. Obviously, you are going to need a holster for it. If you find a holster you like where the exposed hammer of the SP101 poses less of a potential problem (on draws specifically), then get it and get the exposed hammer model SP101. If you are going to do something like just put it in a pocket, holsterless or something else of that nature (not recommended), then get the bobbed model.

seed.

magsnubby

If it's strictly a defense gun, and not a plinker, i would bob the hammer. You eliminate the chance of catching the hammer on your clothing if you have to draw the gun.

One more thing to consider:if you actually had to draw the gun, the D/A only feature eliminates any temptation to cock the gun.

glock.40cal

i like haveing a hammer giving me the option in a situation to cock hammer back which would give me a lighter pull,and better site control through the pull having only to break a 5 or 4lb pull from a cocked hammer.the only function i see in a bobbed hammer is snag free in concealed carry.it might sound stupid,but sometimes that click,and visual sight of the hammer being cocked deters someone from thinking you could not pull the trigger on them.some bad guys need reasuring sometimes

ZWolfgang

glock... it is very nice to be able to cock the hammer and take a much more precise shot when desired. I'm sure one can develop fairly good accuracy with a double action pull... with a TON of practice, but I find being accurate with a double action pull very difficult to do... and with rapid fire, my DA shots tend to be all over the place. Of course all my practice is with 1911's! Da! Much easier to place rapid shots well with a single action auto.

Wheeldog

I haven't cocked a hammer on DA revolver in 15yrs. Start doing all your
practice DA. Just focus on the front sight and watch the sight alinement
throughout the trigger stroke. In time, your groups will tighten and your
speed will increase.

2002gti

for me its a fanny pack gun so im wasnt concerned about a clean draw as the draw from my fanny pack is wide open. i got the pm9 for the pocket.

C_Yeager

I have a SP101 with the hammer spur. If i could go back and do it again i would get one with a bobbed hammer.

I used to do a lot of single action shooting with it untill I realized that i would never have a chance to cock the hammer in a defensive situation (if i had that much timei could have just run away :p ) So i started practicing double action only and i found that with practice i could fire just as acuratly as with single action (only MUCH faster).

If its a dedicated range gun then i can see the use of a having a spur. but, for a "practicle" pistol i think it is more of a liability than an advantage.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
In my opinion an exposed hammer spur on a CCW revolver is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I've wound up going all Centennial myself; learn to shoot DA well and you'll never miss that hammer spur anyway. ;)

Tom2

Bobit

I had one of the early .38 models right after they came out years ago. I liked it but had the idea it would be a good conceilment gun or something, I can't remember what I was thinking. I took out the hammer, sawed off the spur, filed the remains flush, and put a brushed finish over the thing so it looked like it came that way. I did put a little notch in the top so I could fire SA if I wanted to test ammo or accuracy or something. Of course, you had to be careful cocking it! But it did give you sort of a nice no snag carry. It was hard to keep in a holster without a spur to retain a strap. It was maybe the first bobbed SP in history. Eventually I got bored, I guess, and sold it. Now I have a Smith 640 I got cheap, to fill the same niche.

magsnubby

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...it might sound stupid,but sometimes that click,and the visual sight of the hammer being cocked..."

Please tell me you were only bull %@$#ing.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, i will prove to you that the defendent carlessly cocked his gun,creating a hair trigger......"

My reply would be "No sir. My gun can only be fired double action, that is, you can not cock the hammer...."

Brasso

I tend to like the hammer simply because it provides a way to keep good retention. I havene't found a way to retain a hammerless revolver yet that really worked.

ATTICUS

"But I like the option of being able to cock the hammer... so that's my quandry"

I like both ...but I had the same quandry. Bottom line- if you don't have it ...you can't cock it.
I carry a S&W model 37 airweight. My pocket and IWB holsters both cover the hammer...as does my palm when I draw it. I live a pretty boring and safe life, and 99.9% of my shooting is at the range (or in the country). I'm confident that I could employ the snubby quickly without snagging on clothes...and I'm also confident that I could quickly un-snag it if it did get caught. I like the asthetics of a hammer, and I like the "click" sound of a positive lockup.

In a famous case, John Wesley Hardin was arrested by Texas Rangers on a train in Florida, because the hammer of his revolver snagged in his shirt. He was defenseless and taken back to Texas to lengthy jail term.

For the belly gun, bob the hammer. If you want a hammer, carry a bigger revolver.

fastbolt

Well, after shooting several earlier SP-101's with regular spurred hammers, I decided to go with the spurless DAO hammer when I finally decided to buy my short-barreled SP-101. It was primarily intended to be an off-duty defensive weapon, anyway. I've never regretted my decision ...

Of course, I also went to an Airweight Centennial 642 when I decided to "retire" my older 649, too.

I'd had a couple of different .38 & .357 snubguns, with regular spurred hammers, hang up on clothing a few times in my early years of carrying off duty, and didn't enjoy the sensation.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
J. W. Hardin and his hammer spur - - -

Texian Pistolero - - I don't recall what kind of revolver Hardin was packing when arrested in a rail car at Pensacola station that day - - If it was a Remington or Colt's percussion type, then it was a single action, and kinda NEEDED the hammer spur, huh? ;)

Ranger Lieutenant John Armstrong was definitely using a long barrel Single Action Army, though. As he approached Hardin, the outlaw said, "Texas, by God!" and went for his gun. Armstrong noted that Hardin's hammer caught on his suspenders, impeding his draw, and, probably, saving his life. The delay gave Armstrong the option to briskly lay his 7-1/2 inch barrel upside Hardin's skull, allowing for a live capture . . . . August 23, 1877.

Best,
Johnny