SP01 Sights???

rc

So I looked at a CZ SP01. It had a fiber optic front sight but appeared to have rear night sights like the older ones. Can anyone tell me how the sights have changed. Will the fiber optic glow at night?

jetinteriorguy

Fiber optics don’t glow at night. They depend on some sort of light source in order to work. I’ve noticed on a really bright night sometimes there is enough ambient light to produce a soft glow, but this is a very rare occurrence.

wild cat mccane

Get ready for pain.

There are currently three skus out in the wild for each SP-01.

One SP-01 (cheapest) has fixed 3 dot.
One SP-01 (cheaper) has a fiber optic and luminescent glow paint fixed rear.
One SP-01 (more expensive) is full night sights.

I feel that when the Shadow 2 went wild, CZ absolutely gave up on the SP-01 and the skus just went wild.

Proof is the newest SP-01 with the red or blue grips and mag bump covers. Almost no upgrades at all but color, but CZ is charging Shadow 2 prices. Both new color version come with either night sights or fiber optic front.

needless to say, you have an extremely long journey to find what you want, find what that sku is, and then find it for reasonable prices.

CZ sights are known to be small. I personally don't like their sights. Others love them, but do they love the cut or the size? Two different things. I find them physically small.

My SP-01 Tactical with night sights was $600 in 2019. I didn't like it and sold it. Shrug.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

So I looked at a CZ SP01. It had a fiber optic front sight but appeared to have rear night sights like the older ones. Can anyone tell me how the sights have changed. Will the fiber optic glow at night?

Did you look at a new one or a used one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild cat mccane

I think the change was 2019.

The physical size of the sight isn't "old" because CZ still makes the small bump looking SP-01 rear sights (below) and the large physical sized ones on the Red I posted above. The SKU is still being produced for all versions of the rear sights. I think the luminescent "night" sights were new 2019, but could have been as early as 2017?

https://www.impactguns.com/semi-aut...ght-sights-19rd-mags-806703911526-91152/#wiki

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

I would point out that the SP-01 online praise was one of the most hyped on the planet with few backed up by buyers.

Consider this review. Praise for the gun though he had a jam, misses, and ejection back at him the whole time. If that were a $300 Canik or SAR, what would the review have been?

I was totally underwhelmed owning and shooting mine. Not a small gripe either, the serrations on the SP-01 slides are nearly impossible to grip and are useless.

But I think if you want one, you'll like it. Good luck man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myCQbNBchy4

Last edited:

rc

Yes a new one. The finish looked flatter and not as good as older ones, the sights looked mis matched with fiber optic front and I think night sights rear, blue follower magazines with no bumpers for CA. It Was about $850 but the other one I saw probably had night sights and was $1200. That was an easy pass. Shops are being told a year out for orders and are relying on what they have already in the pipe line. These were like $650 4 years ago. No Canik's here:(

wild cat mccane

Way hard pass at that price. No way. Good call.

They came stock with night sights when they first came out. They dipped in the 500 dollar range for a bit. 550 wasn't unheard of for the Tactical which seems to be the preferred model then and now.

I will say, when I sold mine, I had a really hard time getting someone to take it. One of the longest I've had up to unload.

CZ would do great at the new low $500 range of the Beretta 92 pricing on the preferred V frame. The 92 and the SP-01 both share the rounded trigger guard too. Everyone with Shadow envy would buy an SP-01.

Current 700-800 for an SP-01? mmh. Kinda want to spend money at that point.

sevt_chevelle

Proof is the newest SP-01 with the red or blue grips and mag bump covers. Almost no upgrades at all but color, but CZ is charging Shadow 2 prices. Both new color version come with either night sights or fiber optic front.

WRONG!

The purpose behind the red and blue is rules. The shadow 2 is too heavy for certain competitions, the Sp01 is lighter, granting it access a shadow can't go.

The red and blue have an upgraded hammer, a different disco I believe and improved trigger, once again it's about gun game rules, not allowing modification.

rc

The ones being shipped to CA before had night sights. Now there is 1 sku and it has the fiber optic front. I wanted the night sights but I'm unclear as to what rear is on these new CA guns. I see there is a few heavy duty adjustable sight sets I could put on one of these but I thought the night sights were OK. I'm concerned the fiber optic is rather a fragile feature.

https://www.ozgunmart.com.au/assets/full/SPL06CZ.png?20201124200112

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...F570B7&selectedIndex=16&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

wild cat mccane

Helped not at all by CZ. Though they list CA approved guns, the links don't actually go to the CA approved.
https://cz-usa.com/product-category/ca-models/

The CA approved SP-01 is the SKU 01152. Fiber front only.

The Tactical (SA/DA decocker) with 10 round mags is SKU 01153. I think CZ screwed this one up and it never got on the CA list.

53 came/comes with the night sights that were the standard SP-01 night sights are where/are buff. Buff...but still small.
See this $500 dollar example here: https://tombstonetactical.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-tactical-pistol-9mm-4-7in-10rd-black

I agree with you, the SP-01 fiber is small and kinda is fragile.

You're entering the world of changing sights. Which is kinda silly because of added cost. Agreed. Dawson too if you are looking.

rc

Is there a Heinie Straight 8 Nite Site Option for the SP01? I saw there is a true glow TFX series sight for CZs that have both fiber optics and tritium but I think I like the idea of having the rear sight for emergency cocking and the groves on the sight rear to break up light. If you were going to put custom sights on an SP01, what would they be?

TunnelRat

https://cajungunworks.com/product/factory-installed-meprolight-night-sights/

I think you're right about there not being a made i-dot style sight specifically for the SP-01.

If you buy Dawson, check out the Brian Enos forum, they are saying the Dawson set is off.

If you buy a set of sights from Dawson directly and the point of impact is off, they do have the following policy:

https://dawsonprecision.com/cd-perfect-impact-promise/

wild cat mccane

Brian Enos is saying it isn't hitting correctly when corrected.

I like Dawson, but do your research if you go that route. It doesn't look positive on the SP-01 for some reason.

TunnelRat

If it isn’t hitting properly then it wouldn’t be corrected.

It may be Dawson doesn’t make a sight of the right height. My point is if you buy from Dawson and end up in that boat it’s at least worth calling Dawson to see if they can help and come up with a fix.

rc

I saw a U-tube video that praised the CZ tactical front sight with a larger white dot and a CZ custom rear that looked like a heinie in some ways with a single vial below the rear notch rather than the twin vials of typical night sights and grooves. TFX were not as good due to the limited light on each side of the front sight during daylight shooting and poor illumination at night through the fiber optic. I have a Kahr with the factory night sights and it's not particularly easy to align 3 dots in the dark. I would think lining up a front and back dot in pitch black would at least get the gun pointed in the right direction even if elevation in the dark is jenky. A buddy got the shallow rear XS V notch with Big Dot front sight for one of his guns and any kind of precision shooting was a joke in regular light. After trying that one I'd never buy a set of those. Night sights are basically only helping you point in the right general direction rather than offering the precision aiming of daylight aiming since you can't see anything clearly anyways and the 3 glowing balls are below your actual point of impact. After watching those sight related videos I think what I'm looking for is single rear and single front dots to align at night so at least i'm right on for windage in the dark. Jeff Cooper, Taylor and others often talked about front sight and press in a gun fight. There is no time consuming precision aiming that's going to happen in the dark without a laser. The youtuber pointed out some sight set ups have more visible light on each side of the front sight than others. He liked a rather narrow front sight and the grooved rear sight to break up light during normal shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08vJ7FM-43U

sevt_chevelle

None of my CZs have night sights, all have a green fiber and black rear.
I've yet to break a fiber rod. All are from CZ custom.

I believe that you tube video, he was using P09 front sight, you would have to drill the sight for the roll pin. Plus those night fusion sights IMO are thick, they are .140.

Why would the Sp01 not shoot correctly? They share the same dovetail as the 75 and Dawson makes a ton of different sized front and rear.