SP-101 Manufacture Date

ScotchMan

I got around to looking up the serial number on my SP-101, and it turns out it is one of the first ever made.

The first production year was 1989, serials started with 570-00001. By 1990, they were up to 570-38900. Last year they started on 574-57595.

Anyway, my specimen is 570-00XXX. By my calculations that means it was in the first 1000 ever made! I thought this was pretty cool. I don't expect it to have any additional value because of this, but its a neat fact and I appreciate my revolver that much more now. I may send away to Ruger to find out more information on it.

Last edited:

Dan-O

From the Ruger Website:

"Ruger does not produce firearms in serial number order. There are occasions when blocks of serial numbers have been manufactured out of sequence, sometimes years later. Also, within a model family the same serial number prefix may be used to produce a variety of different models, all in the same block of serial numbers. And in some cases, models may be stored for a length of time before they are shipped."

9mm

Most people tell you not to.

My reasons, someone could copy it and try to put it on their gun and clame it or some crap.

ser # is in your name, they can find you.

Not a good idea, like posting a picture of your DL without your address.

ScotchMan

Understood. Seems like a good idea. I removed it from the OP, but unfortunately the first reply kind of gives it away. If a moderator comes by, feel free to delete the whole thread.