Southern Nevada

roy reali

This holiday season the wife and I are planning a visit to the southern part of the Silver State. Is there any bird hunting available down there? I am thinking that desert quail might be a possiblity. Is there any pheasant clubs located around the Vegas area?

I figure that I can make the wife happy and get in a little hunting if possible.

roy reali

So...

There is no hunting opportunities in Southern Nevada? I realize that in and around Vegas the answer is probably no. But outside of the city there must be some sort of game. I was thinking that there would at least be some desert quail or rabbits. Is there at least a pheasant club in that area?

James H

I've seen chukars and quail in areas E of Alamo/ S of Caliente, through the Delamar range and Mormon Mts, all about an hour to 1.5 hr N of Vegas. Desert birds have always been very weather dependent in my experience though. A good year is super, a bad year isn't worth going. Been a couple years since I've been in the area though. Not familiar with immediate Vegas area. Jackrabbits are all over down there, and they've been good eating contrary to what most people believe (i think the people that say they're no good to eat have never tried one).

I live in S. NV and I have been wanting to do some bird hunting around here also (thinking a few hours N). I'll follow the thread in case anyone stops by.

Fat White Boy

There used to be a hunt club in Mesquite. Haven't heard about it in a while. I just returned from a chukar hunt in Northern Nevada. My buddy and I got 8 chukar and one Hungarian Partridge on last Saturday, Opening Day...

James H

Nice...last time I really chukar hunted was in the Owyhee Canyon area of SE Oregon in Nov. 2007. Bad year. Got a few but that was it. The previous two years were awesome though. Went there a few times in fall of '06 and once for a week in early January of '07. Some of the best hunting I've ever had. Guess it's a pretty good year this year if you come out with 8 chukars and a hun on a days hunt.

Fat White Boy

OK- Here's a picture of the Hungarian Partridge and one of the Chukar...

Attachments

• photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

kd7sgm

I ws born and raised in Las Vegas. You can hunt chukkars mt. Potosi and the Spring mountains, they are on the very tops on lower ledges of the hills generally the most horrible terrain you can find. Quail are abundant in the various washes through the desert. I used to get quite a few quail aorund searchlight but also rainbow canyon going towards Alamo. Rabbits are abundant as well. I have also saw Turkeys in the river valley area leading into Caliente.