Southeast Gun& Knife Show or Tidewater Gun & Knife Show

ScottRiqui

Both of these shows are in town this weekend - one in Norfolk, VA and the other just down the street in Virginia Beach. If you were only able to attend one of them (or had to pick which one to hit first thing Saturday morning), is there one that has a better reputation than the other?

12GaugeShuggoth

I haven't been to a C&E show yet so I can't offer any opinion there. I did go to the SGK show in Hampton a few weeks ago and was fairly disappointed. Compared to the last one I had been to (another SGK @ Hampton), there were definitely fewer tables actually selling guns, ammo, and accessories; many more tables were stocked with what I would call "gun show junk". Not that there isn't a place for some of that stuff, but the focus of a gun show IMHO should in fact be guns. :rolleyes: So I guess my vote would be the C&E in Norfolk.

I don't know if I'm gonna go to either but if I do I'll be walking around Scope. :)

12GaugeShuggoth

Hmm, after visiting Google for a little info I'm reading quite a few unhappy reports about C&E shows........so now I'm not so sure which one would be more deserving of my $$$. :eek:

ScottRiqui

The funny thing is, I think I've gone to both of these shows in the past, but I can't remember which was which. I do remember a lot of "gun show junk" as well, but I can't remember one show being worse for it than another. I guess I'll make an appearance at one or both of them, but I'm not holding out high hopes.

At both shows, I remember a lot of new guns at pretty in-store pricing, and not a lot of used guns.

TheNatureBoy

I've been to a few of the SGK shows in Hampton, specifically the Convention Center and they were so so. Half of the tables were trinkets and the other half firearms. Something to do. I attended one at the scope last year and thought it was a little better than the Hampton show. Never been to a Va. Bch. show.

hardworker

The best gun shows I have seen in Hampton Roads were always in Newport News. The Norfolk one didn't seem to have as much stuff. And I had to pay to park I believe.

KLRANGL

Well Saturday is C2 day. Hopefully everyone will be at the shows and not the range :p
Guess I'll poke around one of the shows Sunday since it'll be raining... I've only every been to the Norfolk and VA Beach shows once, and that was a while ago. The VA Beach one struck me as nicer. Usually I just go to the Chantilly show since I have friends/family in that area.

12GaugeShuggoth

Well I just got home from the show at Scope........never again. I thought the last SGK I attended was bad, but this C&E one was terrible IMO. The most fun I had was in the bathroom :eek: All joking aside, I went to the mens' room, looked down and saw a bore brush come rolling out of one of the stalls :D Don't know what he was trying to clean but all I could say was "Only at a gun show".....maybe that was one of those don't ask don't tell moments.

I did see a couple guns that were of some interest, but nothing was priced attractively enough to make me bite. Should've gone to the beach and hit that one instead. Oh well.

ScottRiqui

Thanks for the suggestions (and the warning about the Norfolk show). I ended up going to the Southeast Gun & Knife Show in Virginia Beach today. Pretty crowded - parking was a bear, and even though we got there 2-1/2 hours before closing, we just barely got through the entire show with enough time left over to buy a gun before it ended.

I narrowed my choices down to a Walther PPK/s in stainless, a Remington R1 1911, and a Ruger 22/45 "Hunter" in stainless (the one with the 6-7/8" fluted barrel). Decided on the Ruger, since it's something my wife and I will both enjoy shooting, but I think an R1 is still in my near future.

12GaugeShuggoth

Hey at least you made it out with something to make you (both) happy! :)
I was planning on going to the beach as well, but ended up bumming a ride with some friends and they wanted to go to Norfolk so...............

4thHorseman

The one in Norfolk is always a let down unless you go to the gun show for beef jerky and costume jewelry.
I went tot he one in Va Beach. The prices were high and the selection was low.:)
I do suggest to you the up coming gun show in Richmond at the "Showplace" on the weekend of the 3-4. It is always a very large one and always has a huge selection of all kinds of things. :)
I did notice the show in Va Beach was missing many of the major gun sellers which usually have good deals.