South Korea to sell Garands, Carbines to US shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CortJestir

Excellent! The more the merrier - the CMP's stock is not never-ending, unfortunately, and quality Garands and M1 Carbines are becoming increasingly harder to find.

FTA:

Washington has approved South Korea’s plan to sell about 86,000 M1 Garand rifles and 22,000 M1 carbine rifles, together valued at 108 million dollars, the ministry said.

So they expect $1000 per rifle? Wonder who'll distribute for them - private business, the CMP?

Nice find, thanks for posting, Mike.

csmsss

It'll be interesting to see the condition of these rifles. I wonder if the South Koreans received brand new rifles from the U.S. or whether they were already-issued U.S. surplus.

DBAR

I'd imagine a little of both, unless South Korea ponied up, and payed good money for new ones.

I wish they would be more affordable, I've always wanted one, but it looks like they are going to be out of my price range. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a Surplus gun.

DBAR

koolminx

I agree that they're too expensive... ESPECIALLY if there are 108,000 more going to be on the market. IT should be worth about $250 bucks with that dang many out there.

Supply and Demand... Too much supply, lowers demand... Maybe FINALLY they'll be affordable.

What makes them a $1,000 dollar rifle anyway?

bufordtjustice

I have mixed emotions about this. I have a couple of Garands and while I am happy that some of our pieces of history will finally be coming back to the States and hopefully end up in a "good home", does it **** anyone else off that we are buying back weapons we gave to another country so they can make money? Shouldn't we say "Since you are done with them, we will take them back for free and make money off of them ourselves."?

Wishful thinking I suppose.

I wouldn't take the supposed value of the entire thing in the article to heart.

We won't know what the cost will be until they start hitting dealer shelves, and that probably won't be for about a year.

CortJestir

I have mixed emotions about this. I have a couple of Garands and while I am happy that some of our pieces of history will finally be coming back to the States and hopefully end up in a "good home", does it **** anyone else off that we are buying back weapons we gave to another country so they can make money? Shouldn't we say "Since you are done with them, we will take them back for free and make money off of them ourselves."?

Not really. Who's "we"? The US Government isn't buying them back, as far as I know. The private collector is. Ever had a tag sale? Same principle in a nutshell. How much stuff have you sold off that was gifted to you? Heaven forfend we ban tag sales because of this. LOL! :p

I wouldn't take the supposed value of the entire thing in the article to heart.

Oh, I'm not. I was just pointing out that $1000 per is what they expect, according to the article. I don't think they will go for nearly that much.

300magman

I've had the Garand bug for a few years now, I think it would be a nice complement to the 1917 30.06 in my collection....and if it shoots half as well, it would be the greatest plinking toy in the world.

But being a canadian I have no idea how I am going to get my hands on one of those fantastic looking "special grade M1s" on the CMP site for $995. I'm fine with it not being all original as I'm not a pure collector, I like the idea of a new barrel and stock (that appear orignal, but are new production and not worn) as long as they are of the same quality as the old ones.

My 1917 is the TOUGHEST piece of steel I've ever encountered..perhaps the toughest known to man, owning a garand made to the same standards is an impressive thought. Perhaps if there is enough of them on the market a few will make thier way north.

BTW, I can't bring an M1 across the border myself, but if a US citizen brings it across I can buy it from them once they get here (I think that's how the law works) Anyone wanna visit Canada?? I can get my hands on a few different Nagants or trapdoor springfields to temp you with. ;)

Last edited:

deadcoyote

I have to agree with bufordtjustice

We gift them to our allies and now they put em on the market. I'd just as soon buy a new Springfield Garand for 1k than buy a well worn regifter.

a7mmnut

Thanks, Mike-I'm with you. I'll wager our coyote friends in the U.S. market will jack the price over a grand just because they can. I'd buy the IMI first.

-7-

HorseSoldier

If the weapons are being re-imported for sale outside of the CMP, I believe that indicates that the weapons were bought and paid for under foreign military sales, not given away under lend-lease -- so quit whining and complaining. Don't want one? Buy a returned lend-lease weapon from CMP (for less money anyway, from the sound of it) and be done with it.

As for quality, weren't the "Blue Star" imports available a while back brought back in from Korea? My understanding is that those things were pretty worn out and broken down. Maybe the stuff the ROK is getting rid of now has been warehoused as war reserves for most of its life, if they are just now surplusing it.

DMK

It's just capitalism at work. The US Govt. doesn't want them anymore. Don't take it personally.

If you just found a truck load of Garands that I gave you in the '50s and I didn't want them back, wouldn't you sell some at nice tidy profit with today's prices?

BobbyT

The cost for those rifles was covered decades ago. Sunk costs are sunk.

The alternative is for them to rot in an arsenal somewhere or get destroyed, which I'm sure Nancy and Barry would love.

Instead they're going to market, and here on top of that (they could be selling them there instead). That can only be a good thing. Hopefully they flood the market and are available dirt cheap. I wouldn't be the least bit disappointed to pick up a $250 Garand...

kozak6

I don't think they will be affordable unless they are junky, since the demand is so high for these wonderful historical rifles.

I hope I'm completely wrong, though :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.