South Dakota Powder Supply

Blindstitch

I was recently on a trip to the black hills and stopped in at Cabela's in Mitchel, South Dakota. On my way out of the store I looked across the parking lot and there was a sign that said guns. I don't remember the store name but it's on the south side of the Cabela's.

There was one shelving unit full of powder. Now we're talking a maybe 30 foot aisle 6 foot tall packed with powder. It was the most powder I have ever seen in one place.

If anyone knows the name post it. I talked to the guy at the register and he said they buy as much powder as they can get their hands on and guys come from states away to buy it. Also said there was no limit on the amounts one could purchase.

I think it might have been called Leaders.

zplinker

That store is Leaders. I was just through that area a week ago, and found a pound of Blue Dot on their shelf, first I'd seen anywhere in months. Later, friends going through Walker, Minn. spotted some at a store there...Reed's, I believe. Maybe things are loosening up.

I live here in Mitchell and I can assure you that the name of the store you speak of is Leader's. They are a bit more expensive than Cabella's but they do have things that Cabella's does not have. Powder, primers, .22 ammo and other calibers. Having said that, be prepared to pay a premium price for any of that stuff.

As far as ammunition is concerned, don't even try to buy it at the local Walmart as customer service is non-existent. Cabella's has mostly rifle powders but buying other components like bullets is relatively easy. You just have to shop around.

Blindstitch

Spiritwalker,
I know what you mean. I went to that walmart and nobody was around to unlock anything for me. Left with a bulk pack of 20 gauge off the shelf and found rifle shells elsewhere.

I also saw the 22lr for $10 per 50 at Leader's and that stayed on the shelf. Good thing because this week I bought 800 rounds a lot cheaper than it would have been there.