South African .308 ammo WARNING!!

USMCGrunt

A while back at a local gun show, I bought some South African .308 ammo made by PMP to fire through my .308 Druganov. I only fired aobut 10 rounds with most of them sticking in the chamber and the extractor slipping over the top of the rim. I then switched to some Norinco .308 that I happend to have with me and I had no more problems. I returned the rest of the unopened boxes the next day but kept the other 10 rounds. About a week ago, I fired the last of that ammo through my FAL with the gas regulator completely open and still had problems with cases sticking in the chamber like my SVD did. I then turned the gas off and fired the remaining 9 rounds single shot with 7 out of the 9 being very tough to extract. Both of these rifles have fired USGI M-80, Norinco, and Federal Gold Medal match ammo without any problems and the FAL has also fired Radway, Isreali and Portugese ammo without a problem so I ruled out a tight chamber being the problem. I suspect that this ammo was very hot (wish I ran it over a chronograph now) and the excessive pressure was causing the cases to swell in the chamber.
As far as the details, this stuff was Berdan primed ammo with "JJ" and "7.62" on the head stamp. The box was labled as being "M1A3" and the lot number was "0440D99". If you have any of this ammo, you might want to check it out or better yet, avoid firing it and maybe salvaging the ammo for components.

LOCHFAL

Thanks for the heads up. I have also heard of some of the import ammo sticking because of the tar like crap they use to seal the cases. If its real hot the brass will show signs of high pressure so you could probably still check your theory out that way.