sound levels of different handguns

simonrichter

for the folks who have a sound meter: what are the (muzzle) sound levels of different firearms?

Last time at the (indoor) range I realized that even through the mufflers, there is a huge difference in quality and sound level between 9mm and .22lr.

Apart from the measurements, it would only be intersting if the differences have any meaning in everyday firearms use, e.g. would the bang of a 9mm travel farther than that of a .22lr in a survival scenario?

BigJimP

barrel length ...and the specs on the cartridge -- effect the "report" of the gun significantly.

If you reload ...you can change it a lot / but even commerical ammo - from 8 or 9 different mfg's with the same gun ...will change the "report" of the gun significantly in one caliber like 9mm.../ even if you limit your ammo choices to one grain of bullet ( like 115 gr in 9mm).../ then you mix in the other 3 or 4 grain bullets that are commonly available in 9mm....and you're all over the map in terms of noise or "report" levels...just in one caliber...

Radny97

^^^^^ what he said.
I have a 3 inch revolver in 38 special that with most loads is quieter than my little Raven in .25 auto. Go figure.

Maverick36

what BigJim said
I just started shooting 9 mm 147gr flatnose which is subsonic and because of that it is quieter than 115g.

Flyboy_451

While there are several factors involved,

Generally speaking, larger bores at lower pressures are SOMEWHAT easier on the ears. Having said that, pretty much any handgun (without a suppressor) will cause hearing damage when fired without ear protection.

I've got a sound meter at work and am planning on some other experiments this summer. I will try to get some sound measurements as well. My collection covers .22lr, 9mm, 38/357, 44spl, 44mag, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45acp, 45 Colt, 454 Cassull, 475 Linebaugh and 500 Linebaugh. I own multiple guns In some calibers, so a barrel length comparison can be made.

Sounds like a fun few days at the range! If you're in the Kansas City area and can add to the complement of cartridges/firearms for testing, give a shout and let's set up a range day!

rc

Hello, ear ringing is typical if you shoot 357 mags without ear protection.

I personally think it's the pressure of the cartridge and barrel length more than the caliber. 180grain 40 cal is about like 230 grain 45s and 155gr 40 cal is about like 9mm in terms of muzzle blast.

mulespurs

Just my observations

I noticed years ago that different powders in the same caliber may have an effect on sound levels. If I loaded to about the same velocity in 44 mag, using Red Dot or Blu Dot, the Blu Dot seemed to be less sharp on my ears all with no hearing protection.
Now with my hearing kinda shot i use hearing protection and say "what" alot.

jad0110

I personally think it's the pressure of the cartridge and barrel length more than the caliber.

I think so too. Explains why high pressure rounds like .357 Magnum and 5.56 NATO in particular have that ear splitting crack. I ALWAYS double up on hearing protection when shooting those rounds. OTH, a 12 ga shotgun, though certainly loud, is just a big boom (low-ish pressure) without the bleeding ears inducing lightening crack of say, the 5.56.

Bluestarlizzard

I've done a few without hearing protection on.

Back when I shot .22 at shooting camp, I would occasionally forget to put my plugs in. Would sit and wonder why the guns were so loud on any given day and finally realize I didn't have my ear plugs in.

Pulled the same stunt one day with my SKS. I actually thought something was wrong with the gun. "OMG!!! That was too loud!!!" ... "oh..."

Had an incident with some pit bulls attacking and didn't have time to put on muffs before going out to save my dogs. The report from the .38 Special made the pits run off as my Dad ran up up yelling what I presume was "are you okay?" I don't know exactly what he was saying. It took about ten minutes for the buzz to abate.

Note that revolvers tend to be a bit louder than semi's, especially to the one standing behind it.

tony pasley

There have been many studies done on the audio signature of handguns and rifles. It is how some cities know when shots are fired in neighborhoods. My range was used for 1 such study about 10 years ago.