Sorting out M66-6

Guy B. Meredith

(Political disclaimer--S&W didn't get one cent for this one.)

My first new gun in 3 years. Lordy how I envy some forum members.

I haven't a use in the world for more guns, but it is really ego satisfying to have new toys. Learning all about your new toy is also a great diversion.

Maybe with this or one more I can feel good about doing the horse trading some of you do so that a constant string of new toys can pass through here without increasing the numbers or costs too much.

Anyway, back to the M66-6. You all know the basic description of the new M66 4" with the new built in lock.

First thing I noticed is that the trigger feels very tight and heavy compared to my 686+. I'm going to have to go out and spend time at some gun shops since I can't honestly remember what the 686+ felt like new. As I've noted elsewhere the 686+ has gone through 9000 magnum rounds and maybe up to 6000 or so .38 spl., so it's had time to mellow out and is not a good reference now.

The lock is innocuous and easily forgotten. It uses a pentagon shaped key with hollow shaft--cute. Is easily operated and the flag is not obnoxious, either. Won't get any use around here, though: just me and the missus. I did note a couple of lines just above the lock and groused about sloppy manufacturing leaving tool marks. It finally dawned on me that these marks are intentional and indicate locking direction--duh...

This model has the two piece rubber grip which I believe is the Uncle Mike's Boot. I find it to be abrassive on the thumb side near the web and will maybe use the Hogue Monogrip I have on the 686+ and 627 if it is not intrusive for IDPA/concealed.

I do enjoy the quick pointing of the M66 and look forward to some serious target testing. Have so far only had about an hour of IPSC/IDPA practice and 6 or 7 minutes shooting time at an IDPA match, but all indications are that it is a sweet shooter despite my lack of experience with the light weight and short barrel.

Got to get past that trigger, though. Part of it may be that I am accustomed to the small cylinder travel with the 686+ (7 shot) and 627 (8 shot).

Will say that the trigger has a very authoritative and "industrial strength" feel that is attractive to me, just got to loosen up a bit. I'm dithering about whether to have an action job done on it or just let it work through a few thousand rounds and learn something by paying attention as it progresses.

Gonna keep busy either way. That's what toys are for.