Sooty brass

cdoc42

I worked up some loads for my .380 Auto using Unique, HP-38 and Titegroup.

All functioned well but I noticed Titegroup produced fired brass with soot marks on only one side of the case starting at the mouth.

Any problems with this?

I was also firing 9mm Luger and as I picked up my brass I also found some empties labeled 9mm +P - cases seem to be the same as 9mm Luger - any difference?

jepp2

It is common for low pressure rounds to have soot on the outside of the case. Just not a enough pressure to seal the gases from coming back down the outside of the case. And the 380 is quite low pressure even when loaded to max.

Some brass marked +P is exactly the same as normal brass. Starline states this for their 9mm brass. Others might be slightly thicker. But there is a lot of variation in brass from manufacturer to manufacturer. So you might experience different case volumes for straight 9mm between different makers. Less volume means higher pressure.

Keep in mind how "generous" your chamber is, can have a bigger impact on case volume than brass thickness might. Lots of variables, that is why starting at the lower end of the powder range is always a good idea.

1SOW

I would guess you also have 'sooty' looking residue inside the case and maybe on the feed ramp..

As jepp2 said: Light loads often cause this sooty residue due to inefficient combustion. . With Win231/Hp38 in 9mm ,124/125 gr bullets any thing below about 1050 ft/sec leaves black residue on, in and around the cases AND feed ramp.

Titegroup is no exception. It depends on the minimum at which the powder will burn 'fully'.

I'm a big fan of n320 because it's a single base powder that burns fully using fairly light loads.

cdoc42

Thanks for the replies - everyone is always helpful! Imagine if the Congress worked this way.......