Sookie - Warning Graphic

Saltydog235

This old girl stuck her head out last night, unfortunately for her, I had some people that needed some protein. She didn't suffer and no meat was ruined.

150grn Nosler CT BT from the 7mm08 at 125yds.

IMG_20121028_184228.jpg

chewie146

Apparently that bullet expanded a bit on the bone...good shooting! They make for ugly pics, but it's the most humane kill if you connect right. The explosive hole made me think it was much closer until I read more closely. It looked like 25 yards to me.

SPEMack618

Especially if you are hunting for meat, as in need to harvest all of the tasty parts, a head shot like that is the way to go.

Nice shot! And further props for the 7mm-08, love that loading.

Saltydog235

Thanks for the kudos. I'll take headshots all day long provided I have a steady rest. To me its no different from aiming for the high shoulder shot to break the spine. I'm extremely confident in my rifle and scope as well as my load as I have spent countless hours on the range and know exactly what it is going to do. Now, I don't always use the headshot, its only when conditions dictate that it is a feasible shot. This old girl had a great big melon, wasn't real skittish and I had a steady rest and good shooting light so, she got misted.

Stay tuned for when Wilbur ventures away from Charlotte's Web into the crosshairs. That little piggy won't be coming home and sure as hell won't have roast beef.

chewie146

I've messed one up before. It didn't end in a lost animal, but it went in below her eye and didn't kill her either. She didn't even fall. It's a tricky shot and you have to be very good to do it. The boiler room drops them too, and with the right bullet, you won't lose much meat. Also, for some of us western hunters, a 300-yard head shot is a little tough to pull off the first time. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's not the best option for some of us.

Saltydog235

That's my thing too, we, as shooters, constantly talk center mass, and that applies to animals too.

I don't advocate or push shots like this on anyone. If the opportunity and confidence of the shot was not there nor the absolute 1000% knowledge that the bullet would have gone exactly where I wanted it, then I would have shot her in the high shoulder. I don't attempt shots like this very often and never without a full rest and "bone bridge" built to make everything rock steady. This was a rare occasion that presented itself to me and I took full advantage of it. I've also worked with this gun and load through hundreds of rounds of practice and knew without a doubt that the bullet would enter right behind her eye into bone.

I'm an experienced shooter and hunter that doesn't get rattled or nervous when a deer comes out that I want to take. Now, bucks with large bones on their noggin's make me excited but I generally take them within a 1/2" or less of where I was aiming.

This really wasn't a very long shot for me, in fact, I'd have been a little more leary of it had she been say 50yds since I would have had to take into account the angle, rise and other factors.