Son's first highpower match

Mike40-11

Took my 16 y.o. son out for his first match today. And, in all honesty, my second. He was shooting the AR, I was shooting the Garand. And to think I used to believe I was a pretty decent shot. Boy do we have a lot or work to do before Perry in July.....:eek:

He had a blast! He was on the line next to me so the whole time I was hearing "Wow, this is so much fun!" "Dad, we gotta shoot more of these!" "Hey, when's the next match?"
And the best part, as far as he was concerned? He wasn't in last place! That was reserved for his dear old dad who's still having trouble getting the #$@!*! clip in the M-1 left handed during rapid fire. (I'm right handed but now have to shoot rifle left-handed due to an eye injury.)

Shooting as well as he does already and starting on the competitions now, I can't wait to see how good he's going to get! I do alright, but started too late.

Tim R

Good job with the boy. If he likes it, it's going to cost dear ol' dad in ammo. I would see if there are some Jr. small bore shooters in the area as small bore does everything for High Power. Most clubs I know of have rifles to use.

Oh to have those young eyes again!

I would do every thing I could to keep him shooting. I believe the junior shooters are responsible level headed young people. Last year at Camp Perry I was in a hut next to the Washington State Jr. boys. These young men were respectful, in bed on time, no rable rousing and were just plain fun to be around. They sure didn't keep us up at night, we might have kept them up though.

cdrt

Glad you both had a great time.

I shoot an M1 (chambered for .308) left-handed as well. To load the second clip, I place the rounds in it, so the left hand side of the clip has the high round. Using my thumb on top of the high round, I push the clip in; since my rifle has been worked on, the bolt catches, but does not go forward on it's own. Once the clip is in and set, I use my left hand to push the op rod forward and the first round will chamber.

Trying this with the high round on the right, my thumb would get pinched, so it did not work as well as having the high round on the left.

Hope that makes sense.

Ken O

Good going Mike! Where did you shoot? There is lots of highpower shooting in Michigan, in my area during the summer it is possible to shoot at least a club match five days a week, I hold it down to three or four.