Son's first deer

PTS1

Dead eye took him at 135 yards with his 243. Daddy only sat in blind with him. He took the shot all by himself. Went through both shoulders and was down about 30 yards away.

Attachments

• ben deer 1.jpg
    ben deer 1.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 216

Man I love to see that. That is one proud looking man child. Good job and a great first deer. He's going to have some jealous TFL members looking at that chocolate horned beauty.

Countertop

That's a wall hanger fur sure!

How old is he??

My oldest is 8, and is itching to get out, but I just don't think he's ready yet.

PTS1

He just turned 8 this past August and is all of 50 pounds soaking wet. He was begging me last year to take him hunting but I told him he would have to wait till this year and only if he practiced. I bought him a youth 243 and developed some lower recoil loads for him (100 grain interlock at 2500 fps). Practiced all summer and when I saw that he could bust 4 clay pigeons in a row at 100 yards, I knew he was ready. I also enrolled him in our local 4-H shooting sports for additional practice.

Gbro

That is a wonderful story. Nice buck too!
I placed an order for a deer with my 10 year old grandson this year. He took his 1st. button buck last fall and said he would get one for me next.
I am a very poor hunter. It has been like 12 or 13 years.:(

Cowboy_mo

Congratulations to you and your son.... Sounds like you're doing a great job of teaching and he has done a fantastic job of learning!!!!!!

Countertop

Good deal. What kind of youth rifle?
took my son to Gander Mountain but didn't see anything that really fit him well. I liked the NEF with the interchangeable barrels but it still seemed too big.

sc outdoorsman

Congrats, thats a fine loooking animal. Great memories for sure. My son got his first deer last year. He was smiling just like your son. I hope you enjoy those backstraps!!!!

PTS1

Thanks to all for the congrats! Yes, it will be one great memory and God willing, many more to come.

Countertop, the rifle is a Mossberg 100 ATR. It has the 20 inch barrel and the spacer on the stock to adjust the length of pull.

blackhawk45

One proud daddy + one ,MILLION DOLLAR SMILE , what more could a father ask for ? Congrats on the nice buck little hunter,now you are hooked for life !

ryalred

Congratulations to both of you. If your like me, you were as excited, or more so, than your son. I was with my grandson (9 years old, then) when he killed his first deer and we were jumping up and down in the blind and hugging one anoth er--it's a great feeling.