Sometimes it is fun to be old and forgetful

olduser

This will absolutely make a dedicated Garand guy barf. On 9-10 I had posted about some M2 Ball and a my Garand. This week my wife sent me into our junk shed to look for some item she had stored. Glory Be! I found a brand new never used Ram Line synthetic stock complete with metal for an M1 Garand. At some point I bought the thing and simply stored it away and forgot about it. Assembled the gun with it and the stock fit great. The forward hand guard was incomplete. It was not routed on the rear end and would not fit the metal. Ok, I had an old forward hand guard so I just painted it flat black and installed it. The gun looks good and it fits real tight in the stock. Had to lean into it on the edge of my work bench to latch the trigger guard. Gun only weighs 8 pounds now instead of the wood stock 10.5 pounds. The synthetic stock even has a padded butt pad. Will be fun to see how it shoots with this stock.

olduser

OK, here you go. Pardon the messy background.

Attachments

• 20220925_093224 (800x450).jpg
    20220925_093224 (800x450).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20220925_093356 (800x450).jpg
    20220925_093356 (800x450).jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220925_093503.jpg
    20220925_093503.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 126

44 AMP

Staff
Everybody gets to do their own thing with their own stuff, so, in that regard, good for you. Fit looks good. Otherwise, for me, its meh...

Just as there are people who don't care for scopes on lever guns or rubber grips on SA pistols, there are people who think M1s and M14s (M1As) should have brown wooden stocks. Nothing to do with the shootability, just a personal preference about the look.

When I got my M1A, the owner had it in a black synthetic stock. First thing I did with that rifle was rip that stock off, and toss it in a closet, (where it probably still is, now, almost 40 years later..:rolleyes:) and fit my rifle with a brown, wooden GI stock. Mine even has the stock cut for the FA parts the rifle doesn't have. It's what I wanted, and that's what matters most.

Would be curious to see how your restocked gun shoots. And how much felt recoil changes because its now a couple pounds lighter...

Enjoy!

olduser

Shot the gun today. 10 to 15 mph winds today and my groups were horrible. The felt recoil seems to be slightly less to me. The foam stock pad really helps. Maybe when this wind settles down I can sight the gun in.

bamaranger

Ramline

I remember those stocks....some outfit was closing them out....cheap,and I gave serious thought to a purchase. I was on a Tanker kick, and thought a chopped Garand or a Mini-G would look good in synthetic. Never bought the stock....or the shortened Garand.

Forgetful..........my middle name.