Something you definitely do not want to do.

Chaz88

Somebody on that thread asked
Did he manage to salvage the brass?

I must have an evil streak in me because it made me laugh. But that picture is nothing to laugh at. I have taken care of people with worse but I bet they did not hurt more.

Last edited:

Jay24bal

complacency kills

^^This.

Obviously reloading requires one to pay strict attention to what they are doing at all times, but when performing such repetitive actions such as pulling the ram handle, and inserting new brass several hundred times an hour, it is all too easy to slip into auto pilot.

It is a grim reminder that not only can the product we are making hurt us, but also the equipment we use. I myself have a nice 2.5" scar on my forearm from reloading, although nothing like the gentleman in the photo. Mine is from the excessively long decapping rod that comes with RCBS rifle dies when I attempted to reach over the press for a box of bullets and it gouged my arm. I have since taken a cutting wheel to the decapping rod of all my RCBS dies and trimmed the rod to only 1/2" longer than it needs to be instead of 3".

It's a case where standard industrial safety measures would have avoided the calamity: safety shields and automatic shutdown if the shields are out of place.

Last edited:

ricklaut

...I myself have a nice 2.5" scar on my forearm from reloading, although nothing like the gentleman in the photo. Mine is from the excessively long decapping rod that comes with RCBS rifle dies when I attempted to reach over the press for a box of bullets and it gouged my arm. I have since taken a cutting wheel to the decapping rod of all my RCBS dies and trimmed the rod to only 1/2" longer than it needs to be instead of 3".

I have one of those scars...

armoredman

Dammit, that's a 7.62x39mm brass he ruined with that blood! That stuff is hard to find!

On a serious note, yes, reloading is fun, relaxing and productive, but it has inherent dangers, like brass shavings from trimmer, primers exploding in the primer tube, brass through the finger, (I never would have expected that one), and this doesn't count double and triple charges from not paying simple attention to detail or being distracted by clueless family members at a critical time.

Jay24bal

I have one of those scars...

Glad to hear I am not the only one wearing the RCBS tattoo reminder to not be lazy and get out of the chair to reach the back of the bench.

In all seriousness, why on earth do they make the rods so darn long?

Mike / Tx

Dad gummit,:eek: and I thought the blood blister I pinched on the end of my thumb last week hurt. Dummy me just had to hold that bullet straight a little too long while shoving the ram home to seat it. Turns out you really don't have to hold them that long at all.

Mine is still sore but nothing like that one for sure.

That made me quince up like some of those broken arrow through the thumb ones have. Sheesh, that had to smart for sure.

F. Guffey

I decided to build a hydraulic assist for a press, in my opinion not particle. A reloader, shooter, recourse type and builder or military correct 03s allowed me to compare his version with what I thought I would would build. When his version was built they started over by building a new press, other attempts failed because adding assist to existing press resulted in rendering the press scarp.

I thought I was getting a head start when he offered to furnish parts. I needed shuttle valves, relief valves, 2 way pistons etc.. Problem, his press was hydraulic, all the parts he gave me were pneumatic air craft parts, the two way pistons are close to 1” in diameter and are rated at 2.000 psi, then? I looked around and decided I have too many projects ahead of the press modification. A trip hammer has no conscious, in the old days the operator of that type of equipment had cables attached to their wrist, when the hammer made a trip the hands were pulled back.

F. Guffey