someone needs to make....

Andrew Wyatt

Someone needs to make a built from the ground up lever action in .45 acp with an action length specifically for .45ACP.

With something like that, a 20 inch barrel could hold 15 or so rounds, and muzzle velocities would be somewhat higher.

the throw on the lever could be really, really short, as well.

another thing that would be dandy would be a chipmunk type single shot bolt action in .45 ACP, as well. a chipmunk in .45 acp could pull double duty as a kid's first rifle, and be a pretty reliable short range small to medium (coyote) game rifle.

what do you guys think? am i being completely stupid here?

Cheapo

Not as long as you stick with flat-point bullets.

The thing should be rated for .45 Super and probably even that other .45 high-pressure round (drat! can't remember it but I've shot it) from that Louisiana (?) gunsmith's shop.

Sounds like a real hoot to shoot, to about 150 yards...

M2HMGHB

45 winchester magnum the other one you're thinking about? as long as the bullet has a flat point it should be fine. example is a round nose flat point or semi wadcutter style.

Cheapo

.460 (yeah, another overstatement) Rowland. It's sold as a complete Gov't Model top end kit, slide, barrel, recoil spring and compensator. IIRC, it uses standard-length .45 ACP brass, beefed up a tiny bit more than the .45 Super.

Taffin, in the Handgunner, liked it. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer with it, as long as the gun/ammo could do 4 inches or better at 50+ yards.

cheygriz

.45 ACP would be great. IMHO, .45 Winchester Magnum would be even better.

BTW, didn't someone (Rossi, I think) just announce such a gun in .454 Casull? Now THAT would be something else!!!!

Andrew Wyatt

well, i think 45 win mag would defeat the purpose a little bit, because I'm after a really short stroke and high magazine capacity.

I hadn't thought about .45 super and .460 rowland, but sticking to the .45ACP length would make it a ten shooter with a 16 inch barrel.

what do you guys think about the handi bolt sized .45?

Round nose bullets aren't a problem either, guys.

I enter into evidence the millions of rounds of round-nosed .30-30 ammo made and fired every year in this country.

Scarborough

I like the .45 ACP concept for the lever and the single shot. The only problem I can see with the kids rifle is that this Grandpa would not let the kiddies have a turn.;)

Hadaway

45/460 lever gun

Johnny Rowland and I discussed making a takedown lever action in 460 Rowland out of a Marlin 41 mag. The rim diameter of the 41 mag and 45 acp is almost identical. All you would need is a new barrel and a few modifications to make sure it feeds properly.

Check out my new gunsmithing web page.

http://www.thearmsroom.com

Thanks,
Lee