Some Thoughts About Selling/Trading Handguns

IanS

If you own a reliable handgun and you seem to like it, for God's sake don't sell it or trade it merely because you're bored with it and don't shoot it much. Because you never know what you're going to get next time. Whether the next gun you get is New, Used, a Brand Name you trust, or a gun you thought you researched well you're spinning the wheels of chance again. Eventually you're gonna get one that either wasn't made right from the factory or the previous owner didn't treat it right or you realize that you simply don't like it.

I'm not gonna get into the details but lets just say I've learned the hard way with a recent trade because I was merely bored with it and wanted something "different". :rolleyes: Yes, most of the time when we sell or trade guns and use due diligence things turn out fine. And most of the time it has been fine for me. But when it doesn't....boy talk about regret. :eek:

I'm just saying a good reliable gun is something worth keeping and one should think long and hard before taking a chance with something different.

edited: For clarification

Last edited:

chris in va

I dunno on that one. My theory is to not have a lot of handguns laying around unused/underutilized and if I do happen to find something else that'll get used/carried more, I like to sell off the others to finance the next one.

Case in point, I had trouble shooting my XD9. Just couldn't get it right. Bought the CZ, sold the XD. Much happier.

Or the Ruger MkIII. Not reliable, traded for the MkII.

And now after fully realizing my P11 is extremely hard to shoot accurately with the trigger, I have another gun in mind.

Traded in the Marlin 60 for a 410 Pardner. I just didn't shoot the .22 rifle at all. Great gun though.

Etc.

Old Shooter

I like to sell off the others to finance the next one.
Chris - I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately with me it happens way too often. I have my "stable" of keepers - only 3. I usually have about 4 or 5 others that come and go.

I just got a S&W 1911 DK model that just may have to go to the stable - I told my wife to keep the paperwork away from me so I can't sell it. I have to do that with my horses too.

IanS

chris,

I wasn't talking about guns you like well enough and are reliable. If the gun is unreliable or you have trouble shooting it then those are good reasons for ditching it.

T WARD

You couldn't be more right. I got rid of 2 old colt 1911s, and smith mod 12 that my dad gave me because they became boring. The mod 12 was my first handgun. Wish I had that to do over.

Of course there have been several that I just didn't like as much as I thought I would. They were not around long.

progunner1957

Trading? DON'T DO IT!!!

In the days of my misspent youth, I would get bored and trade in a gun for one that was new and different. I made sone REALLY dumb trades (traded off a cherry Browning High Power and an old style blue PYTHON, for the love of God!!! - as well as a H&K 91 rifle I paid $458.00 for new - now selling for $2000 -$2500) and regretted each trade BADLY in time.

Nowadays, I do as much research and reading about a given gun as possible before I buy, and I have yet to get a lemon. Also, I REFUSE to sell or trade - every gun I have is a keeper, and trading or selling is ALWAYS a losing proposition - "the house" always wins, just like in Las Vegas.

IMHO, research each prospective gun purchase and wait till you can afford that new gun - keep the ones you already have (unless you get stuck with a ****). Down the road when you have a nice collection, you will not regret it!

CougarRed

Trades can be good or bad.

I recently traded a reliable Kahr K-9 for a reliable SA XD-9 that suits my needs better, and am quite happy about it.

The K-9 was my first nine, and a fine gun. Since then, I got a Kahr P9 Covert which is better for CCW than the K9, and a HK P7, which is the same size as the K9 but more fun at the range. What I lacked was a Wonder 9, a hi-cap for the car. Thus, the K9/XD-9 trade.

However, I have also made a bad trade in the past. You just have to be careful and sure.

Hello123

I have felt a lot better about getting rid of some of my junk purchases and streamlining my collection to guns that have sentimental value or are shooters (good quality). I am lucky in that a local gun shop sells on consignment with no cost to the seller. It makes it easy to unload.

Guns that I have recently unloaded and was very happy about doing so:
1) Browning BPS 3 1/2 12 gauge- great quality, but heavy and didn't like the bottom eject
2) 870 Wingmaster that appeared new when I bought it and had somewhat of a tight feel. It turned out the the tight feel was not simply needing to be broke in but instead was a lemon
3) Rossi .38 stainless- decent truck gun, but shot high and too the left
4) Daisy .22 rifle
5) Hopefully my 4-16x50 BSA scope soon, need I mention all my BSA scopes

Handy

I find gun buying to be a learning project. I started with a Baby Eagle and had a Glock and Witness, too. They were reliable, but couldn't do what I wanted them to. So I replaced them with other guns that are equally reliable (some brands are just about sure things) and worked better for me. If they didn't impress, they hit the road.

The notion of tying up capital in certain objects just because they're reliable just seems absurd. Unless we're talking 1911s and Keltecs, reliability is the rule, not the exception.

I've heard this "never sell a gun" thing before, and I don't understand what elevates a nice tool to the status of religious relic.

Let me put it this way: If you can't buy the gun you WANT because your money is sunk into something you don't even like, wake up. Life's too short for every gun owner to become the "Museum of Adequately Reliable Firearms" curator.

Come on, Ian... what sort of crap did you end up buying? Something prompted this! :D

IanS

Come on, Ian... what sort of crap did you end up buying? Something prompted this!

Premium European Brand With Good Reputation

Gun was in "Like New Condition"

What Me Worry? :rolleyes:

So far I've been very happy with the trades I've made. At least one a year for the past 10 years. My luck finally ran out. :(

OBIWAN

I am a shooter...not a collector

If I find that I am not using something ...out it goes

I now have less quantity and more quality.....which does not mean they are all expensive....just dead reliable

(Even though 4 are 1911's :eek: )

When I decided to consolidate my calibers I ditched a whole group of perfectly functioning weapons

I had a nice DSA FAL that I sold simply because the LOP never felt right

Weapons are things...it is never a good idea to get too attatched to things

HSMITH

I used to have a LOT of guns, all sorts and calibers. Some were sold, I decided quality was more important than quantity. I sold 25-30 guns and bought 6 or 7 with the proceeds and am much happier. I have some now that I hardly ever shoot, but keep them as they are high quality and would be very very difficult to replace if I ever decided I had to have one again.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
After many year's of hard work and lot's of play, I have refined my
collection to "keepers". I doubt whether I would ever sell or trade
any firearms in my current inventory. Some, I looked far and wide
for; including my newest member to the club a COLT AR-15A3.

Best Wishes,

jonathon

Plan to keep everything I buy, unless of course it proves to be something I just absolutly don't like.

Have yet to have that happen.