Some people just shouldn't be allowed to handle a weapon

C0untZer0

And the picture that they associate with the story - a table filled with rows of guns.

These guys need better stock footage - like maybe a picture of a smoking gun and a bandaged bloody hand or something...

Evan Thomas

Hmm. Is it still a negligent discharge if you haven't yet learned the Four Rules?

I wouldn't want to be that instructor...

m&p45acp10+1

Tom I think the instructor screwed up in assuming that since he was leaving adults in the room that they would have enough sense not to do something as stupid as the man pulled. There are those in this world that just do the dumbest of things.

As Forest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does."

Evan Thomas

m&p45acp10+1 said:
Tom I think the instructor screwed up in assuming that since he was leaving adults in the room that they would have enough sense not to do something as stupid as the man pulled.
Just so.

But we don't know exactly what did happen, unless someone has found more information than I was able to turn up on Google News... Just that Mr. Deel "accidentally" shot himself and his wife. So we don't know if he was "stupid" or just really, really ignorant.

m&p45acp10+1

Vanya the man shot himself in the hand. The bullet passe through and hit his wife in the leg. That is not ignorant. When it is an adult that is not mentaly handicapped it is stupid.

Who in their right mind is going to put a gun up to the palm of one hand and pull the trigger?

Evan Thomas

He was taking a gun safety class. It seems safe to assume that there were things he didn't know.

I don't find it that hard to imagine someone who didn't know better, for example, trying to rack the slide on a semi-automatic pistol by the end with the little hole where the bullet comes out; and it's almost a reflex for untrained people to wind up with their fingers on the trigger when they pick up a gun. Put the two together, and, voilà: hole in hand, hole in wife. :(

We don't know exactly what happened.

I think we can agree that the instructor was stupid to leave the room without securing live ammunition, though.

Who in their right mind is going to put a gun up to the palm of one hand and pull the trigger?
One of the odder behaviors I see when people are looking at guns in the shop is that they'll cover the muzzle with their hand when they sweep someone. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Why, isn't that just the same as covering your mouth when you cough?
If you're coughing up lead projectiles at supersonic velocities, I don't know whether to congratulate you for having super-powers or recommend medical intervention :)

Frank Ettin

Administrator
I'd like to know why the instructor left the room. In classes taught by my group, there is always an instructor in the classroom.

Students handle guns a lot in our classes, but under the eye of an instructor. And we're constantly reinforcing safety.

In general we find that novices are very awkward with guns. They truly are foreign objects to them, and as a consequence they tend to not have the awareness we take for granted of where out fingers are and where the muzzle is. So we try to work in a lot of gun handling so they become less awkward. And we try to do so with a lot of direct supervision so we can help reinforce safety.

MLeake

I'm curious as to why there was live ammo in the training room. According to the article, the wife was sitting next to her husband when the incident occurred, and the class was held at a private residence.

Assuming the instructor was NRA certified, one would think he'd have started out by prohibiting ammo from the training room.

Also, based on the fact that the training was being held at a private residence, and the article made no mention of other students, my guess is there was only the one instructor.

Assuming the instructor was NRA certified, one would think he'd have started out by prohibiting ammo from the training room.
At the very least, it's usually sequestered to a separate area. When I did First Steps, I insisted on checking and clearing all weapons personally, then doing bag checks. About one in ten students brought a loaded gun in.

When it was time for the range portion, the students were walked to the shooting line, then they waited while I retrieived the ammunition. All weapons were then checked clear before they left.

Somewhere, the instructor got careless or sloppy. The blame lies primarily with the husband, but the instructor could have prevented it.