Some opinions on target rifles

mparris71

Hi,
I have been wanting a good sharp shooting rifle for a while, I want the rifle chambered for .300 win mag or .308 which cal is the best? Be shooting 100 to 400 yards. Please point me in the direction of some good options.
Thanks
MP

trapshooter

At that range, I'd stick with the .308. No need for the .300, and the .308 is easier on the barrel, your shoulder, and your wallet.

I know this is conventionally boring, but a Rem 700, like a PSS, is probably the best deal out there, if you can get hold of one. Another option with the remington is to buy a cheapy for the action, and then have the 'smith of your choice build your dream rifle. You can get that done for less money than you will spend for some high-priced, big name guns that won't shoot any better, in the end.

Rob01

Not knowing how much you want to spend I would say go with a Remington 700 in .308 also. If the 700P is too much or you can't find one then the next best thing is the 700VS. It's the exact same barreled action but it has a slimmer stock than the heavier target style on the 700P. It's a good stock with a profile like the McMillan HTG or M40A1 stock. It's a better field stock in my opinion than the 700P stock. Both stocks are HS Precision so the quality is the same. I'd say get it and shoot it. Have fun and then down the road you can rebarrel and have the action worked on. I know of what I speak because my custom rifle started as a 700VS in 1993. Now the only thing that reamains the same is the action.

Remember not to skimp on the optics/mount/rings for it either and also put that into your budget.

mparris71

rifle

I forgot to mention I want the best buy of the target rifles! I am not a rich man but willing to spend a few extra bucks for a better rifle, BTW, what are some good optics choices?

Commander Fan

TARGET?

You didn't really define 'TARGET' in your post.

I have a 10-year old Rem 700 heavy barrel in .308 Win. I would define it as a 'target' rifle when competing against friends at the range. But 1/4" groups won't win many competitions.

About the cheapest 'Target' rfle chambered in your caliber is the Savage Long range TARGET rifle. It lists for $999 and is GUARENTEED TO SHOOT sub-1/2" GROUPS with MATCH AMMO, by the factory. Available in .223, .308, .300 Win Mag. This is probably the best buy for the money. And it's GUARENTEED!

Any rifle could be considered a 'Target' rifle, the level of competition dictates the performance required. If you just want to shoot small groups for your own enjoyment, any heavy barreled rifle would probably work. If you're talking Benchrest competition, you're asking for hole-to-hole accuracy. This would usually require a different platfom to build on. In my area, the Remington Custom Shop 40Xs make up over half the entries. Even these require additional work to get into the .1" groups.

Optics (Remember, you asked for opinions).

The old saying for tactical-syle counter-sniper rifles is to spend as much on the optics as you did on the rifle. They are usually machined form a solid piece of metal into a one-piece tube design. This allows for a more rugged housng, which is less prone to damage. They also employ much better optics to ensure greater clearity and light-gathering abilities. Because of the engineering ivolved, the price tags are usually in the $1,000+ range, usually costing MUCH more.

A benchrest rifle sees a lot less abuse. It is usually only carried from your vehicle to the house/benchrest. It can get by with traditional multi-piece tube design, and because you will usually be shooting in daylight hours, it won't require the expensive multi-coated lenses found on a tactical scope.

An inexpensive Leupold can easily handle the chores of paper targets, while usually costing less than $500. There are also several other brands that can be had for even less. For a 'dedicated' paper target scope, I would suggest a fixed 24X or 36X, but this limits you to targets only. A variable power or less powerfull fixed scope will make for a better target/varmint rig.

Good Luck

Dfariswheel

A lot depends on the type of target shooting you want to do. If you're ready to go to Camp Perry, you're going to have to spend some bucks. If however, you're wanting to do some private shooting, I'd recommend a Remington 700VS and a Leupold target scope.
Mine is an M8, 12 power, target knobs, heavy duplex, adjustable objective. Cost is still around $300.00, and you can't get much better than Leupold.