Some observations-Tanner Gun Show

USNRet93

Went yesterday in Denver with 2 sons..younger son(39yo) looking for a new Glock 43. Found one BUT..seems every show can be characterized by what's offered..this show was undoubtedly the 'AR' show..many, many, many for sale. A few tables with just a line of 12-15 of identical AR types, on little stands with a sign, 'Show Special-$549', type thing.

Another thing noticed was LOTS of Rugers(LCP, LCP2, LC9S..zero EC9 I saw)..very few Glocks(?)...prices were all over the map..from MSRP, to slightly below to a few MSRP+...Also a LOT of S&W 642..like maybe about a dozen at different tables..Noticed them cuz I used to have one.

Another..looked at the few -43s we saw..I had a Glock 19 to trade..first 3 places weren't interested in this handgun for trade at all..even tho none had a G19 for sale..curious.. One gent said '$125'....mentioned something about year end and new year orders from Glock.

Another was the number of people who 'seemed' to buy ammo at WallyWorld and then re-label the boxes for sale..at higher prices..I guess kinda like picking up an impulse buy while leaving..

Did, at the back of the hall, finally find a really nice gent('Big Jim'), smaller dealer, who said we could have $325 on trade for a $425 new G43..done deal..

But all in all, fun. Gun biz, judging by number of stuff FS and YUGE crowd, seems pretty dern healthy..

Last edited:

COSteve

Tanner, like many gunshows, has in recent years become 'all about ARs' so I've been passing on it lately. Maybe go once a year now to see some of the older vendors I've known for 20+ years.

Prices for many articles are set really high (over retail) to see if they can snag a sucker but most vendors will haggle a reasonable price if you persist. Some of the older coots are really there to gosip and such so they price their stuff so high it'll never sell.

If they had inventory that I was interested in (pretty much everything except ARs and AKs) I'd go more even though it's a fair drive from Ken-Caryl Valley to that side of town.

OP, Have you checked out Gunsport of Colorado on 14th st in Boulder? Ross, the owner is a great guy.

USNRet93

Tanner, like many gunshows, has in recent years become 'all about ARs' so I've been passing on it lately. Maybe go once a year now to see some of the older vendors I've known for 20+ years.

Prices for many articles are set really high (over retail) to see if they can snag a sucker but most vendors will haggle a reasonable price if you persist. Some of the older coots are really there to gosip and such so they price their stuff so high it'll never sell.

If they had inventory that I was interested in (pretty much everything except ARs and AKs) I'd go more even though it's a fair drive from Ken-Caryl Valley to that side of town.

OP, Have you checked out Gunsport of Colorado on 14th st in Boulder? Ross, the owner is a great guy.
Been there many times and have yaked with Jason(son) many times as well. Great little store..I have bought 3 guns from him..and still have one of them. He did very well by me when I was trading a S&W 642...When they get their Glock 43x and 48..I'll be by..the Glock 48 intrigues me..single stack -19..I'm always looking for a 9mm that's fun to shoot, that I can carry also. -19/26 too fat, -43/26 no fun to shoot(wonky wrist and RH thumb)..'recoil sensitive'..

Cheapshooter

.this show was undoubtedly the 'AR' show..many, many, many for sale. A few tables with just a line of 12-15 of identical AR types, on little stands with a sign, 'Show Special-$549', type thing.
Capitolism! Sellers selling what buyers are buying.

I did think the market was pretty saturated by the time the 2016 election gave some amount of relief to the fears of a ban. But now maybe with the result of the 2018 election the fears are returning.

bamaranger

burn out

I burned out on gun shows years ago. Prices almost always too high. On every thing. Lots of BS'ers and sharks too. Far too much GI Joe/gun shop commando stuff to suit me as well.

Not worth the $5 (or more) entry anymore, and with the internet, I can find odd and rare parts and ammo easily and more affordably from home.

Rob228

I took a three year break from the Corps for college in Boulder before headed back and will second this. I bought more guns from him than any other one dealer ever. One of my fondest memories of Boulder is walking out of Gunsport with a beautiful 870 LW special field over my shoulder (bought it used, no case or box included) right into a huge anti-Monsanto protest. Good times.

USNRet93

I took a three year break from the Corps for college in Boulder before headed back and will second this. I bought more guns from him than any other one dealer ever. One of my fondest memories of Boulder is walking out of Gunsport with a beautiful 870 LW special field over my shoulder (bought it used, no case or box included) right into a huge anti-Monsanto protest. Good times.
Thanks for your service. Altho small, they will get you pretty much anything you can imagine..and at really good prices..He's going to give me a shout when he gets a Glock 43x and G48...

USNRet93

Capitolism! Sellers selling what buyers are buying.

I did think the market was pretty saturated by the time the 2016 election gave some amount of relief to the fears of a ban. But now maybe with the result of the 2018 election the fears are returning.
ONLY 1/3 of the branches will be DEM controlled..NOTHING will get past the Senate and even if it did, the guy in the big chain won't sign it..States? Now that's a different animal..

Skans

While it's true that gun shows are over-saturated with AR-15 stuff, I do still manage to find an interesting gun or two which I at least consider purchasing. Last gun show I passed up a beautiful Browning X-Bolt stainless (white gold) Maple stock 30-06 asking price of $900. That's one I wish I at least made an offer on.
pix762148513.jpg

M88

USNRet93, curious how big this show was. How many tables? Here in eastern PA besides many smaller ones, we have a fairly large gun show every few months that draws folks from NY, NJ, MD and of course the entire eastern PA. My experience, like others have stated, is all over the table as far as getting a good deal. There are tables with a price higher than MSRP for the exact same NIB gun that three tables down is $100 cheaper. They aren't there to push their gun inventory, and that's fine. Ammo... unless you're looking for reloaded ammo which is dirt cheap but I now don't touch it, with few exceptions can almost always beat gun show ammo "deals" online. Exceptions would be for example finding mil surplus Garand 30-06 or on occasion some rare 7.7x58 JAP for a good price, things like that.

USNRet93

Tough to say how many tables but it was in a '2 gymnasium sized plus a little' areas..
Also just went to a little one in Longmont on Sunday..about 1/3 of the size. Yes about $..I heard one gent answer a guy that 'P320s are scarce..I order one and it sits for months'..and a guy at the other end had red P320 boxes stacked up and selling them briskly..YMMV..some good deals, certainly not on ammo in boxes. Some interesting vintage stuff, like revolvers but OMG..wanted YUGE $..

My son did get a really good deal on a new G43 at Tanner..along with a good trade-in $ using my G19..