Some M1 Carbine questions..

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Still playing with my new to me one..

1) Are the barrels chrome lined?

2) Is it easy or hard (expensive?) to switch barrels?

3) Trigger looks simple - how do you or can you clean up the sear notch (or what ever) to make it a bit more user friendly?

TIA

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
1. Never saw any reference to such.
2. Never did it; saw it done; looked easy enough if one has a barrel vise.
3. Like any sear, don't change the angles when using that very-fine Arkansas stone. As always, it's polishing, not removing a buncha metal...

I guess Brownell's is a good source. Anyhow, I have two triangular stones about 3" long; the finer is maybe 5/16" on a side; the coarser (but still pretty fine) is about 3/8" on a side. And some 3/8" or so rounds and regular very-fine "pen" stones.

A helpful deal is a little vacuum-base or suction-cup vise. I'll set up a sear where it barely protrudes, and the surface is parallel to the top of the vise. Then, put tape across the vise, about the same height as the sear. Gently run the stone across the sear. Polishes, but doesn't change the angle.

Art

Dfariswheel

There are some chrome-lined barrels on the market right now. I think these are Vietnam era GI's.
Other than these, the Carbine did not have chrome barrels.

Barrel replacement depends on who's doing it. It does take Carbine-specific tooling and equipment, and the man doing the work will have to charge enough to pay for it. Trying to replace a barrel without the right tooling will usually ruin the receiver.

Trigger work requires somebody familiar with the Carbine's action, and who has the right trigger stoning equipment. I've seen a fair number of botched Carbine trigger assemblies. Although simple in appearance, you really need to know what you're doing. The risk of slam fires, and a damaged rifle is too high to play around with.

For a good look at what's needed in Carbine work, Jerry Kunhausen's book on gunsmithing the M1 Carbine is out, and well worth the money to any Carbine owner.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Yep. I need to get K's book before I get out the belt sander and Clover Grit... LOL!

Mine has one of the worst looking barrels I've had the misfortune to trade for in many years. I need to put on paper and see if the pitting affects accuracy (sometimees it dosen't). But I do like clean barrels and this one is a shooter, not a collecter.

NapAttack

1. I've never seen one but I've heard that there were some chrome lined bbls made by a co. called Harco. Rumor is quality was very poor.

2. No harder than any other rifle. Just need the proper bbl vise and receiver wrench. I'd definitely look for a gunsmith experienced with carbines though.

3. It is simple, polish it just like any other pistol. Don't remove metal, just polish.

Tropical Z

All i know is i just got an IBM and i can't wait to take it down and give it a gooooood cleaning.I want to get a manual first to make sure i don't screw something up.