Some folks love wild hog for lunch.........

bswiv

Now I know many here have a low opinion of the wild hog as a game animal. But IMHO as table fare it is hard to beat. In fact based on what Louann and I saw while turkey hunting today I'd wager if a vote was taken among some of America's most discriminating eaters the wild hog would win over venison every day.

And what do I base that on?

So this morning we're on the way to chase the afore mentioned turkeys and we see on the side of the road a dead deer. Now it's warm in Florida already and even though this deer had been hit sometime during the night it was already bloated.

( Yes I stopped and checked to see if it was "fresh enough" but it wasn't.....some of us are just that way. )

For a moment we argued the virtues of loading it up anyway and dropping it at the edge of one of the chops in hopes of luering a coyote out into the open. Desided that was a waste of time......besides it being ILLEGAL ( Which did not bother Louann....as usual. ) to do so without getting the FWC to sign off on it and we did not want to waste the morning waiting for them.

About noon, after feeding the mosquitos and getting kicked about by the turkeys again, we headded back towards the house.

A few miles down the road we come up on another fresh roadkill, this one we know is fresher than the last because it was not there when we went by a few hours earlier.

Upon seeing this one there was never any discussion of checking if it was "fresh enough" because someone was already hard at taking care of it.

Louann took the attached picture and we drove on towards home.

As we got closer to home I mentioned the deer we had seen earlier and wondered out loud if it too would be being taken care of. We came to it a few minutes later and discovered that it was still as we had left it 7 hours earlier......untouched.

Based on this fair comparision I offer once again that the wild hog is better eating than venison.

And do take special note of which part of the hog the discerning diner goes for first.........seems that chitlins......raw at that!.....are a big hit with some folks.

DSCN1563.jpg

mquail

Just don't confuse a turkey vulture for a real turkey. Actually those kinda look like black vultures but who cares:D

603Country

After hogs moved into the northeastern part of Louisiana, where I grew up, my dad started having some pig in his BBQ diet. After that he remarked that if deer didn't have antlers, there'd have to be a bounty on them before he'd shoot them again. Pig was just so much better. My wife and I will agree with that.

BIG P

Well one things for sure that story came out better for the buzzards than it did for the hog,lol