Some advice please - Lee Classic Cast Press versus Lee Challenger

bedbugbilly

Am new to reloading and trying to get set up to reload 38 spl. At some point, i might add 9mm but that's down the road. I'm primarily interested in loading target loads - have a variety of handguns - .357 New Vaquero, 357 LCR, 357 4" Colt Python, earlier (1910 mfg.) 6" Colt Army Special and a 1920 something S & W K frame target. Will soon be adding either a S & W 36 or 60. i have no interest in shooting 357s - just 38 spls. I do not anticipate loading any rifle cartridges as I primarily just shoot 38s.

I want to start out with a single stage press which will work fine for me as I will probably reload batches of 50 or 100 rounds at a time. I'm looking at either a Lee Classic Cast press or a Lee Challenger press - either with a "breech lock" bushing system as I like the idea of getting the dies set and then being able to change them out quickly for the different operations without having to reset.

So . . . . can someone advise me on what the real difference is between the classic cast press and the challenger? Cabelas lists the classic at about $115 and the challenger at about $75 so obviously one difference is the price. Is the classic cast just built heavier? Is there something that you can do on one that you can't do on the other? Is there a difference in function as far as adjustment or operation? Or, is the classic cast built "enough better and stronger" to warrant spending the extra $40 difference?

Also . . . I'm looking at a 4 piece set of Lee carbide dies for 38 spl. I realize that I will need to buy additional breech lock bushings for each of them . . . am I correct in thinking that I need to get the bushings with the "lock nut" in order to set the die at the correct position in the bushing and locking it in at that position?

I have read the stickies above - have the ABCs of Reloading, etc. and continue to study. I have shot BP for 50 years and have always cast my projectiles so plan on getting a mold to cast for the 38 spls as well. This will require "sizing" them so for that purpose alone, is the classic cast press the better one to go with? Which wadcutter should I be looking at which will be the most versatile for what I am reloading for - primarily ranges up to 25 yards?

Thanks for any help and suggestions on the presses and wad cutter suggestions. I know that there are more expensive brands out their but to get started, it looks like a Lee will do what my reloading needs are at this time - once I get my feet wet, I can upgrade/add later on.

Thanks for your help - am sure these are "newbie" questions but in looking at the specs for the two presses, they didn't give a lot of detail other than the classic cast is made of cast iron (or so it says - does that mean that the challenger is cast aluminum or other alloy?). :)

lamarw

My only question is why would you want a single stage press over a turret press? You can actually get the Lee Classic Turret for about the same price as the Lee single state Classic Cast Press.

You can use the Turret as a single stage if you desire, and you have so much growth potential in the turret if you ever desire to step up your production rate.

I am biased since I enjoy reloading but hate having to reset presses up for their process with a change in caliber and/or change in loads. I am to the point where I have a turret with the dies already set up for each of my caliber loads to include the Lee auto disk powder dispenser set up for each load. Then I simply pop the turret in load 9mm, change the turret with my .45ACP dies and load those. I have a complete set-up for just about every caliber I reload. Take seconds plus a couple of double checks for powder measure and AOL of the rounds and I am loading another caliber.

This is not to mention the ease in priming by using the Lee Safety Prime system with the turret system.

Using a single stage would drive me nuttier than I already am. Either way, I would suggest going with the Classis. This is from my experience with the Classic Turret and the basic Lee Turret. I have both on my bench, and the classic is far superior.

Lost Sheep

The Classic Cast is cast iron. The Challenger is aluminum. Cast iron wears better, but either will do the job for you.

The Classic Cast drops spent primers down the center of the ram into a tube which you can lead into a bucket (or keep capped and empty every few hundred primers). The Challenger drops the spent primers alongside the ram into a tube just like the Classic Cast, but I opine that some of the spent primers just may bounce onto your floor.

I think (am not sure) that the leverage of the Classic Cast is greater than that of the Challenger. Not all that important with your chosen cartridges, but might be important in the future if you start loading 30-06 or something bigger.

Check Lee Precision's web site to see if there is a greater vertical opening with the Classic Cast. Again, not real important with pistol cartridges, but might be nice if you have big hands or begin loading very long cartridges.

Personally, I would tend to favor the Classic Turret (not the Deluxe Turret) because (as lamarw pointed out) you can use it as a single stage in batch mode, or you can keep the auto-indexing rod in place and use the Turret press in continuous mode and more than double your production rate (after you are comfortable with the loading process and with adequate additional quality control measures, of course).

Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

p.s. Check Kempf's Gun Shop online.

cheezhed

I own and use a lee classic single press and it is a very good press I do not own a challenger press so I can not compare the two as far as performance but I bought the classic over the challenger because it seemed much heavier than the challenger. I also own a classic turret and while it can be used as a single stage press a single stage press works better as a single stage press but if you might use it as a turret press in the future then the turret would be the better investment if you are going to have only one press. I don't consider the price difference between the classic over the challenger a concern as you will have this press for a long time and over the years the price difference will disappear.

bedbugbilly

Thank you all for your information - it's greatly appreciated.

And . . . you have shown me the "error of my ways" in regards to a press selection. Being new at this, I guess I was looking at the single stage press as right now, I don't shoot that many rounds - but - that is mainly due to the shortage/price at this time (if I'm able to even find 38 spl.s on the shelf). I've saved my brass and it's now time to try and cut the cost by reloading - and I think I'll find that I will tend to shoot more if I do.

The turret press makes perfect sense and i understand your leanings towards it. Right now, I'm only looking at 38 spl. but like anything else in shooting, that will probably branch out as I also shoot 9mm - and who knows when another caliber pistol will follow me home? :D Extra turret plates would certainly cut down on set up time for changing calibers and I like the idea of setting up the dies and always having the press ready to go without a lot of screwing around.

Thank you again for your kind responses and help - looks like the classic 4 hole turret press will be the one. I'm usually in MI during the summer and AZ in the winter so it would be easy to eventually have a press on each end and just take a small toolbox back and forth containing dies, turrets, supplies, etc.

Thanks again for "booting" me in the right direction - that's why I came over here t this forum to get some experienced thoughts/opinions and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! :)

Real Gun

I have my original Challenger and a classic cast as an upgrade to the breech lock feature and better primer handling, but I load all my revolver ammo on the turret. There, the cast version is my favorite because of its tidier handling of spent primers. Other than catching primers, which I pretty much solved with a little rigging, I have found nothing wrong with the aluminum turret.

I value having a single stage around, especially when prepping .40 S&W brass or running ammo through an FCD after loading on the Pro1000 limited to three stations. Haven't done any lately, but I would also run universal decapping or ram prime on a single stage. It's just the least cluttered, but it's a fact that it could all be done on a turret.

rotten mick

+1 on the turret. I just got started my self with a lee 90640 for 9mm $189 to the door. Has everything needed and has option to add a bullet auto loader to really pump out tbe ammo. But it also goes nice and slow to get used to it. At that point I'll just buy another kit for the .45 as a xmas gift to my self. I won't have to swap out die and change powder set up between them. Just keep all my 9mm on one bench and .45(later on.) On the other.

Muskamoot

I went with the single stage classic.I find it very comforting to be able to work in stages so I can check powder levels etc. on every round,particularly for a beginner.I'm not a production reloader and speed isn't of the essence.

Lost Sheep

Have a read on this thread. Pertinent posts.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=2511043&m=7181034331

I'm usually in MI during the summer and AZ in the winter so it would be easy to eventually have a press on each end and just take a small toolbox back and forth containing dies, turrets, supplies, etc.
All my loading gear (except the tumbler) fit in three toolboxes (about 23" x 10" x 10" or smaller). The largest one holds the press and a small box of parts. Another, 7 sets of dies mounted in turret disks and the last holds two powder measures, a scale, primer dispensers and miscellaneous small tools.

Yes, portability is nice.

Lost Sheep

howlnmad

I have and use all 3 of the Lee presses mentioned above except mine aren't the breech lock versions. No biggie, I don't mind unscrewing and screwing in the dies. My turret press is used for hand gun and 223 plinking ammo. I have extra heads set up for each caliber with a powder dispenser on each. My Classic Cast SS is used for sizing rifle calibers and my Challenger is used for bullet seating

myg30

BB Billy, As you see above, we all have several presses !! Its nice to have a single stage around for Depriming brass or sizing some in another location with out un bolting the bench set up in the man cave.
You can find good deals on used presses and dies on the forums swapping selling section and save some bucks for components.

Have fun and be safe, Mike