Soliciting opinions on CZ rifles.

DAL

Does anyone out there own a CZ rifle of any caliber? What is your impression of them? They seem well made to me, but are they accurate? I am looking at a CZ527 in .223 and I'm wondering if it's worth the money. I was thinking about buying the CZ527 when it comes out in 7.62x39 next month, but now I'm seriously considering the .223 instead. How do other bolt actions in .223 compare?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I have a CZ 527 in .223 and with ammo it likes, at 100 yards on a still day, it will put 3 shots into 3/8". I also have a BRNO/CZ rifle in .30-06 and one in .375 H&H.
Both are exceptionally reliable and both are accurate. I like these guns and have had bedding work done on the stocks, etc. All shoot under an inch at 100 yards with the CZ 527 and BRNO '06 leading the way. Best.

gunmart

i rather like the brno zzk actions better my self however the cz seem to be ok.i am really looking foward to the new 22 scout that they are coming out with.i assume you know that the cz in 762x39 will come in a .308 diamiter.you wont be able to use the cheap military surplus stuff because they are .311 diamiter bullets.

DAL

gunmart, I know about the .308 bore on the 7.62x39 model and, to say the least, I was disappointed. What the heck were they thinking? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to use my SKS for the cheap stuff.

Stephen A. Camp, did you get the CZ527 Lux or the CZ527 American? I believe the American has a free-floated barrel, according to CZ's website.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, DAL. Mine was one of the earlier ones that came in the black synthetic sights. It was pillar bedded and free floated as it came from the box. The gun shoots as noted in my previous post, but if I had it to do again, I'd go with a wood stock as the plastic stock on the gun is cheap. I think CZ had trouble with them and dropped them. Mine works fine so I've just left it. When I got my BRNO in .30-06, I noted that it, too, was pillar bedded and surprisingly had a very beautiful stock. Before I fired a shot, I had the action glass bedded, the barrel free-floated and the channel sealed. I also had the rifle bead-blast blued and a Pachmayer decelerator pad added. I forget the make, but had the Winchester type 3 position safety added to the bolt. The rifle shoots well under an inch and has not shift point of impact, etc.
I think that the BRNO rifles are more elegant in "classic" lines than the CZs replacing them, but I think these are very dependable actions with controlled round feed and very worth any efforts to get them to shoot. Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but these are grand hunting rifles in my opinion. I think the little 527s are great for varmint calling and pest control. Mine has the "old" safety that works in the "wrong" direction, but am told that this has been corrected on later models. Best to all and good shooting.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Oooops! The previous post should say "black synthetic STOCK" and the bbl had no sights.
Sorry, thinking faster than I can type...and that's not saying much. best.

DAL

I went back to look at the CZ527 in .223 today and I liked it so much that I put it on layaway (25% down/balance in 30 days). I could tell the quality was excellent; it just had that feel to it. For comparison's sake, I also looked at a Ruger M77(?) in .223 and I didn't care for the feel of it. That's not a knock on Rugers, but the CZ fit me and just felt better.

The barrel is not free-floated, but I may have that done later this year. I'll see how it shoots first to determine if I should attempt to improve it or leave it alone. BTW, mine has iron sights on it, but it almost goes without saying that I'll put a scope on it.
DA

------------------