Sold my LCP MAX after numerous issues.

Sigkid79

This was actually my 2nd LCP Max. I purchased one last year when they first hit the market. I had multiple issues from not locking back on last shot to constant failure to feed issues. With a loaded mag, I could not rack the slide to eject a round without the bullet getting jammed. At the range I could not get through a magazine without at least 1 jam per mag. I also could not get over how loose the slide was and how much it rattled. Gun just feels very “cheap” and poorly made. Definitely not a firearm that feels it should cost around $400. Out of frustration I just sold it.

Last week I stopped at my LGS and decided to give it a second chance. Figured all of the kinks have been worked out after a year in production. Lo and behold, it was dejavu. Same exact issues all over again. This time I gave it some more time to get broken in. Took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it. Within those 200 rounds I had 5 jams with Federal American Eagle ammo. Not very confidence inspiring.

I could have called Ruger and had the gun sent back but I just lost all confidence in the gun and had no desire to keep it. Especially since it was purchased as an EDC pocket pistol. I sold this one as well and replaced it with a Taurus GX4. A $300 firearm that feels solid and has performed flawlessly. I have never been a Taurus fan, but after all the positive reviews I’ve watched/read on this firearm, I figured I give it a shot. I must say that I’m impressed!

I’ve owned/own several pistols over the years. That list includes:

-Ruger Lc9s
-Glock 19
-Glock 43x
-Sig Sauer p365
-Springfield Armory XDS mod 2
-Shield Plus
-Taurus GX4

Never have I had an issue with any of those firearms that I’ve had with the LCP MAX. I feel Ruger should put a “stop sale/recall”on the LCP Max until these issues can be rectified. Clearly from all of the post’s that I’ve read, I’m not the only who has dealt with these same issues.

TunnelRat

I hope you told the person to whom you sold the pistol that it wasn’t reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sigkid79

Absolutely. Reason why I sold it to him for half of what I paid for it just 2 weeks ago. He’s confident he can fix the issues.

TunnelRat

Awesome, thank you for being responsible. I’ve owned my fair share of used firearms where the previous owner did not do that.

brian33x51

The gx4 is pretty amazing for what you get. Given the price it should be a no brainer for many people. Taurus hit it out of the part for design and quality.

Siggy-06

I have a LCP gen 2 and a LCP II, both have been solid perfromers and I usually carry the LCP II probably 75% of the time as my edc for it's ease and comfort. I imagine they perform better due to being a single stack mag design instead of the staggered 10 round mags of the Max.

throttleup

Not a great advertisement for Ruger!

I replaced my pocket carry Ruger LCS 9 (8 rds 9mm) with an LCP Max with mag extender (13 rds .380ACP). They both fit nicely in my Galco Horsehide pocket holster and the Max is a little lighter. For the 8 months I've had it, I shoot a magazine full, lube, and wipe it down every two weeks. I use CCI Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Federal Hydroshocks and some of my own wimp loads for practice. So far, so good. I've had no failures to feed, fire or eject. The slide sometimes fails to lock back on the last shot with my reloads. Full power loads though, no problem.

I really like mine and am sorry yours hasn't worked out.

ViperJon

Have the same pistol and it's been flawless with over 300 rounds of various ammo through it. Love it. Guess you're unlucky. Obviously you weren't looking to keep it as Ruger has excellent customer service and would have fixed the issue. ALL manufacturers have a lemon now and then.

franco45

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've owned a Max since they first came out and have put about 500 rounds of different fmj and jhp through it with no problems. I also have a GX4 and I agree that it's a great carry gun too.

Bowdog

My LCP did not like HP. Sold it and now use a Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum. But do carry 38+pHP with speed loader.

Mosin44az

While not as bad as Sigkid, I have also had problems with my fairly new ( May) LCP Max. Four failures to eject in about 350 rounds. It has failed to “pass” my 100 round test with two different hp loads ( on nearly the last round with the Hornady, very frustrating!) but has also malfed with 2 different fmj loads.

I see others have no problems, continued good luck to you all. My surmise is that Ruger did not adequately test its new mag design, unlike SIG with the P365. I also think that Ruger these days puts more emphasis on marketing new products than it does on making sure they have bulletproof reliability, at least in the handgun arena. They appear to be like Taurus now, just with quicker turnaround on service, and it could be Taurus has even surpassed Ruger with its more recent offerings.

I have also found that manufacturers, including Ruger, are generally unable to fix malfunctioning guns returned to them, at least if a problem has not been clearly identified. If something breaks, sure, but not the occasional malfunction, even if it makes that gun untrustworthy for defense. So not bothering to return to Ruger, will likely simply dump for what I can get, with disclosure.

I marked the mag that had the malf today and will test the other two to see if they work. But very, very disappointed in Ruger. This is likely my last one.

reynolds357

Awesome, thank you for being responsible. I’ve owned my fair share of used firearms where the previous owner did not do that.

That's why I don't buy used firearms unless they are collector grade or I know the person well who is selling them.